Caribou Gear

Eating pronghorn

bigdonniebrasco

Is pronghorn fat like whitetail fat, like tallow?
Or is it more edible at lower Temps like beef or pork?

Thanks Don

Ditto above. We just packaged up 40# of pronghorn sage breakfast sausage cut with 20% pork fat. Light sage seasoning compliments the natural sagey goodness of pronghorn.

Thanks Mark... that's my plan too. My kids love sausage. Do you have a recipe that you like beyond the pork ratio?

Do you eat the backstraps and roasts like you would from a deer?

Thanks!

Absolutely, it's a tweaked version of Alton Brown's basic breakfast sausage. This is the original recipe using fresh herbs for 2.5 pound of meat/fat mixture. Adjust as desired and also adjust if using dried herbs. I reduce the herbs and the sugar a bit, personally. I usually do a few 1/2 pound pilot batches with the kids around, and tweak until I find the seasoning proportions they really like.

UNITS 2.5#
salt tsp 2
pepper tsp 1.5
sage tsp 2
thyme tsp 2
rosemary tsp 0.5
brown sugar tbs 1
nutmeg tsp 0.5
chile tsp 0.5
red pepper tsp 0.5

On any wild animals, you are better off trimming all of the fat off that you can.

If antelope is properly cared for in the field, it is great meat and by far the most tender, I think. My wife likes it better than elk-at least the does. Rutting buck anything is a bit stronger meat, but we have eaten plenty of those, too.

It is hard to beat sausage, or jerky, though.

The straps are awesome to grill. Wrap them in bacon like a filet if some are skeptical. Antelope also makes great Italian sausage, but we hardly ever make sausage out of ours, too good to eat on the grill.

Neck meat and most of the shoulders go into burger grind. Some of the shoulder gets cut into stew meat. Straps and tenderloins get grilled. I debone the entire rear quarters in one piece each and when I get home I separate and trim them into the individual muscle groups. The bigger muscles usually get cut across the grain for small steaks and the other muscles I will use for jerkey and cubed steaks and roasts to brine into corned or pastrami or something like that. Trim everything well. Antelope is amazing table fare, and you don't have to get real fancy in the process of cooking it. Don't overcook steaks, though. Nothing really above a medium rare to just under medium at most. Try smoking a roast too, that's amazing!

We only make sausage and jerky from left-over scraps. We cut all of the steaks and roasts that we can. We don't do anything special to the meat to cook it. We cook it just like we would any other meat. Just put a little rub, marinade, etc., whatever you like on meat and cook it. Roasts are great in the slow cooker! Steaks on the grill, or chicken fried in a pan are my favorites.

Thanks so much guys!!
We eat everything RARE! :)

I'll do some smoked and ground and everything else I can think of.

Been counting down for almost 300 days to my first Western hunt.... 5 days and a wake up now!!!!

Antelope is far and away my wife and I's favorite wild game. We kept the backstraps, tenderloins, and some steaks from the hindquarter for grilling, and the rest we ground with 20% pork trimmings into burger. It's all delicious and I'd trade it pound for pound for elk meat in a minute.

Get the hide off the meat and cool it quickly. Watch the wind to keep dust and hair from blowing all over the meat.

Unfortunately, my doe tags will go to waste this year. My wife doesn't feel comfortable with me leaving so close to her due date. I'm really going to miss having them in the freezer. Poor planning on my part. Next year I'll be out there chasing them again.

I drove by your unit on the way home from elk hunting two days ago and the antelope are THICK! I tried spot and stalk archery one evening but forgot knee pads and the cactus made it too miserable to be worth it. There were literally antelope everywhere I looked.

Too bad about your tags, but congratulations on the baby!!!
And thanks for the unit status! I hope everyone leaves a few for me come the week of the 10th. :)

In the field care is important with respect to all big came; but, moreso with antelope than all others, in my opinion.

I actually had a friend make a game pole for me that goes into my receiver hitch to skin antelope right away. We cut them into quarters and right into a cooler with block ice to get it cooled down. I've heard that if a buck runs don't shoot it, he won't taste good. If you get the hide off right away it is no issue.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back