eastern Mt help

mixedbag

Looking to head back out for the mule deer rut to some block management areas in eastern Mt.Looking over the block management maps I found some large areas I'm thinking of hunting
Question is,Is the mule deer hunting better by Broadus or Terry/Mile City area?Or, would I do better to go up to region 6?
thanks

6 in one & half dozen in the other...either way, I think you'll see deer if you get away from the road. Region 6 got hit pretty hard over the winter so numbers can be pretty low to none existent in areas.

Yeah, I think MThuntr is right on. Miles City country is dang good, but so is Broadus... in between the two is probably a good bet! Good Luck!

I usually hit the breaks on the north side of CMR has anyone been in there yet this year after mulies??? I'm headin up next week and kinda worried bout the deer numbers. I will just be lookin for a nice average buck for me and my buddy in there so I can then hit the elk hills.....:confused:

Looking for a buddy for this hunt too.Anyone interested in going muley hunting send me a pm.Thinking of leavin Pa in 2 weeks.When would you guys recommend for the best rut action out there?
Thanks

Quite a bit of region 6 was hit hard over the winter...and then blue tongue struck in the summer, so double wammy

On the other hand, there are still some critters up there. My cousin missed a buck by Chinook over the weekend.

Looking for a buddy for this hunt too.Anyone interested in going muley hunting send me a pm.Thinking of leavin Pa in 2 weeks.When would you guys recommend for the best rut action out there?
Thanks

You'd better pick a location first. Some untils in eastern MT close Nov 15, others stay open until after Thanksgiving.

Generally, you can see good rutting action any time after Nov. 5th for mule deer

You'd better pick a location first. Some untils in eastern MT close Nov 15, others stay open until after Thanksgiving.

Generally, you can see good rutting action any time after Nov. 5th for mule deer

+1
What belly deep said. November 5th through Thanksgiving. I watch the weather closely too, so I don't get stuck in a blizzard.

This article was in the Billings Gazette this past week, it might answer some of your questions.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/article_822ba9f5-ccee-55c8-89ae-279a50d4c37c.html

Probably start out outside of Broadus.Saw 3 nice bucks there during a short archery trip after my elk hunt.Wasn't alot of deer around but the bucks I saw were all good ones.At least to me they were.Probably just hit up a different bma each day unless I find decent deer numbers at one early,and put some miles on my boots
Need to check on closing dates;thanks

Mixed, all that country you are talking about is open till the 27th, unless you are on the CMR, which generally (I haven't checked this year) closes the 15th. No region 6 in any of the stuff you are talking about.

How did the elk hunt go? Where'd ya go? PM if you want.

Ernie

I don't know the broadus area at all, but I have a ranch I hunt antelope and shoot gophers on in the Miles/Terry area. We only hunt the badland/dryland stuff.

I don't see a ton of deer, but I do see some pretty nice bucks when I do. I would think that if a guy could spend a good deal of time in there during the rut, you could pull out a really nice buck.

I always save my deer tag for this side of the state, but that area is intriguing.

Thanks hornseeker,that gives me some time to get back out there with a 11/27 close.I'm still in good shape from my trip to the crazies for elk.Should be able to put on a quite a few miles a day looking for some bucks

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back