Early September spot and stalk

Any tips for a first time pronghorn bow hunt? I have five days before i go to a school so im trying to get some hard hunting in those five days. I have a gillie suit to help brake up my outline, so just looking for some advice to help.me be successful.

I have not shot a pronghorn with a bow, but I have shot them under 30 yds with a flintlock. The "trick" for me is to choose places with washes that I can get in and walk along easily. I just pop out and glass from time to time and look for animals that are headed somewhere. Then I try to get to the most likely places they are going to cross the wash ahead of them. It's the opposite of rifle hunting where you stay up high and glass. I just stay low in draws where I know there are animals.

I shot a pronghorn spot and stalk with my bow in WY. The key I think is using contours, find a place with hills and draws so you can get close unseen.

Don't let the dry 100 degree weather, cactus all over your body, sun burns, relentless winds, dust in and all over everything, mosquitos, rattle snakes and your failed 99th stalk let you break down mentally and quit. It could all come together on your 100th. Have fun, it's one of my favorite hunts to do!

Don't let the dry 100 degree weather, cactus all over your body, sun burns, relentless winds, dust in and all over everything, mosquitos, rattle snakes and your failed 99th stalk let you break down mentally and quit. It could all come together on your 100th. Have fun, it's one of my favorite hunts to do!

So its like when im working but im only doing it to myself and as a hobby

I'm no bowhunter yet but I've heard others say putting a blind up over watering holes works great.

You could not pay me enough to sit over water for goats. Even if there was nothing else to do in September I would not do it.

As long as rifle season isn't open a decoy works for the early rut. Do not use a decoy of the rifle season is open.

I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on meth, so sitting water is out of the question. Every antelope I have shot has been spot and stalk. Antelope are territorial and will stay in a general area. Take a day or two once you find a herd and see how and where they wander. You'll be able to figure out their pattern and can plan an ambush. Decoys rarely work, so don't waste your time and money. It's just one more thing to carry and worry about and have to figure out what to do when you go to shoot. What has worked for me, including 2 P&Y bucks was flagging with a white handkerchief. Tie it to a piece of sagebrush or cholla and set up about 10 yards from it. When the bucks are rutting and spot a 'doe' that doesn't belong there, he will come to investigate and herd her back. Another thing that works for me just about every year is parking near their travel route and tying a walmart white handle bag to my truck antenna. It will keep their interest and more often than not keeps them in a general area. Another thing to remember if antelope don't have very good depth perception. So, you can do the 'mohican sneak' on the herd. When they are walking, stay as hidden as possible, but gradually walk towards them from their flank and work your way closer to them as you sneak. You can often get pretty close doing that. And don't get discouraged if you blow a few stalks. It might take 10 stalks to get a shot, but once you find a herd, stick with them, they will come back after being spooked.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back