FWP Fisheries Director Ousted?

Beignet

Sorry for posting a link, but what’s going on at FWP? Seems they’ve eradicated of a lot of long-built institutional knowledge in the past few years.

Wasn’t Mike Volesky cited for trespassing and than put on admin leave? That makes me skeptical of this article trying to sensationalize everything
I was a little dubious about them rolling every single other ouster into the same piece as well. The attrition rate is especially high though, which I’m also dubious about.

Billings Gazette also has an article about Ryce’s leave. Behind a paywall for me though.

Dang, fisheries are the highest functioning division in the agency. I guess someone thought they needed to drop down a peg or two.

She’ll get a year or two of pay and “retire”. Pretty standard procedure at FWP these days.

My guess is that job will be very hard to fill.

Wasn’t Mike Volesky cited for trespassing and than put on admin leave? That makes me skeptical of this article trying to sensationalize everything
That's the wonderful intent of ZootownCurrent flashpan media.

The Billings Gazette is just as “sensational” in their piece.

"This is the latest shakeup in an agency that has been plagued by numerous management issues. Mike Volesky, chief of operations, has been on administrative leave since last October after he was cited while hunting. In March, the case was dismissed, but Volesky remains absent."

They go on to mention other examples as well.

Last edited:
I’ll don my tinfoil hat for a moment and tie that opinion piece into mule deer mismanagement…

I’ve wondered for a bit if the line that some of you hear from biologists that “everything is fine” is in part due to employees being afraid to speak up and face repercussions?

I hate to ask - but is this always the case for Red ties in MT? Chitting on public resources and access i mean...
It has not always been that way, but for the last 10-12 years or so it has been.
I’ll don my tinfoil hat for a moment and tie that opinion piece into mule deer mismanagement…

I’ve wondered for a bit if the line that some of you hear from biologists that “everything is fine” is in part due to employees being afraid to speak up and face repercussions?
Yes, a fair number of biologist know what the situation is with mule deer but are handcuffed by the agency. Some send in their recommendations for their area that would help the situation and are rejected before it even sees the commission. Many get sick of it and leave, some stay, maybe with the idea that it will get better or that they like living in Montana and there aren't many biologist positions in Montana outside of the state agency.

I hadn't previously made an association between FWP's recent report on the true extent of fish toxicity in the Clark Fork watershed with Ms. Rice's departure before reading Ochenski's opinion piece. It is conjecture at this point, but the possibility of her dismissal coming as a result of environmental transparency makes for a compelling and damning narrative.

I heard... it was an inside swingers party and one couple was booted thus the camp is folding tents... Would make a great sitcom or movie "FWP 911" or "Super troopers Swinging FWP".

Rumors.

We can create any rumor that floats whatever liberal intent is desired.
Heck, pretend this is not a political event and we're back to shagadelic swinger parties!

Pick your desire and play your violin. 🤣

After talking to a number of insiders still there and some gone, a group of us wrote a long guest opinion piece that will start to appear statewide next week. You will recognize at least some the co-authors’ names…but the sources asked for anonymity, or they would be marched out the door, no reason given and no warning, as quickly as Eileen was. Just the fact that she had a terrific reputation and was one of the last of Temple’s administration to have a fish and wildlife science background should get your attention, along with the sheer number forced out over the last couple of years. In addition to that the number of people now retiring with 22 or 23 years in, when they would reach full retirement benefits at 25 years, says a lot. It’s more than a few. The agency is a shell of the nationally known place it was, and that’s because of two directors but more so the governor who appointed them. Some of you will downplay it, but I suggest you talk directly to some FWP bios who have been there awhile before you pass too much judgment.

Last edited:
Back