Dying with points?

Points stress me out too much. My plan is to maintain momentum for a sheep tag from when I was a CO resident. I have 3+5 points and I plan on that being my only big ticket hunt. If I don't draw by the time I'm 50 (14 years) I'll pay for a guided trip in Alaska or something. I live in Idaho now, so no points. I live 5 miles from the Wyoming border, so I'll likely build points in Wyoming, but not for anything too special. General elk, a halfway decent mule deer and pronghorn tag. Other than that, I'll shoot for a low point (<4) muzzleloader elk and 3rd rifle deer Colorado hunt.

Other than the sheep tag, I can't see myself investing that much into an elk, deer or pronghorn tag. A couple friends and I are looking into a Moose/Caribou hunt in Alaska for our 40th in a few years. I'd rather pay to do that once in my lifetime instead of stressing about when or if I'll draw.

Moose/Goat/Sheep- Weighted point system for the most part is just a lottery. Hundreds of applicants will start having 30 plus points in the next few years. This system you either get lucky or keep putting in as there is no way to get rid of your points unless you drop out or draw.
Yeah, I hear you on MSG weighted points. I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to deer/elk/pronghorn. Check out these stats for elk. Look at all those top point holders who didn’t draw. They could draw any tag they wanted. Go hunting already!

IMG_0362.jpeg

Yeah, I hear you on MSG weighted points. I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to deer/elk/pronghorn. Check out these stats for elk. Look at all those top point holders who didn’t draw. They could draw any tag they wanted. Go hunting already!

View attachment 279628
Good info here. I also wonder what they are waiting for. They would have to be a minimum of 49 years old if there parent put them in at age 12.

It likely not just death, I assume there would come a point in life for most people where the reality of diminished physical capabilities set in. Reminds me of BigFins “you’ll run out of health before money” quote. No matter how bad they want it, there comes a point when their old legs can’t do the climbing and old backs can’t handle the packing.
I have a few hundred points, preference and bonus and loyalty and hunter ed spread across a dozen states. There are few hunts 1 can do at this point which are at elevation, more than 1 mile from the trailhead or if is a stamina race of hundreds to hunt in a "if it is brown then it is down" hunt." I may live 30 more years as did my father and his father. I may not. 1/6 of my high school class is deceased. Every few months we lose another classmate and no reason my ticket won't come up next. I still want to hunt a ram bighorn and since am buying a hunting license to apply for sheep then the cost to apply for elk, deer, etc, is usually a rounding error.

Another option down the road if someone isn’t physically or mentally able to make a hunt due to age or otherwise is to use their points to draw a tag and then donating the tag to a Wounded Warriors’ or Handicapped Hunters’ Program.

Some states don’t yet have these charitable donation programs but hopefully they will soon get on board.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

I know I will ultimately die with points, it’s par for the course when you apply for everything under the Sun in ten western states, but I look at it that all it takes is a couple of great tags to make up for all the years of not drawing ever.

Another option down the road if someone isn’t physically or mentally able to make a hunt due to age or otherwise is to use their points to draw a tag and then donating the tag to a Wounded Warriors’ or Handicapped Hunters’ Program.

Some states don’t yet have these charitable donation programs but hopefully they will soon get on board.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
I donated two tags I had drawn in NM over the past twenty years. Had 5 or more tags and something had to go. Each went to youth per the state F&G contact I dealt with on the donation.

My grandfather walked away from a pile of moose points in Maine. Got too old to enjoy the trip, the hunting guide he was buddies with retired, so he hung it up.

My grandfather walked away from a pile of moose points in Maine. Got too old to enjoy the trip, the hunting guide he was buddies with retired, so he hung it up.
I know a guy who had over 30 years invested, drew the Maine moose tag, paid a guide $10,000, and never saw a moose….lol

He wasn’t happy with the guide.

I know a guy who had over 30 years invested, drew the Maine moose tag, paid a guide $10,000, and never saw a moose….lol

He wasn’t happy with the guide.
Lol, I drew NH moose w/max NR points in 2012 and my buddy chatted with a logger for ten minutes. Had a 53” on the ground the next morning DIY. Top ten bull in the state that year. I tipped him well.

Last edited:
I am sure there are a lot of people who die holding a bunch of points, but I doubt very many states cross reference death records with hunt applications. So, I wonder how many of those dead people keep on applying as a member of a party.

I started apply out west later in life, around 26 and I'm now 31. For the big stuff such as moose, goat and sheep I have accepted that I may never draw because I am so far behind on points. I do try to go as soon as I can. I drew an elk tag in Arizona with four points, with that the rest of my NR apps were points only because they didn't couldn't fit into my schedule. But I do plan to hunt every western state as soon as I can and if I do die with points it'll he because I just didn't draw.

I've wondered about this as well or even how many apps are with people that don't even plan on going and someone just pays for the extra points and benefit
This has been happening for YEARS. But its like fight club.....you know the rule. lmao

It likely not just death, I assume there would come a point in life for most people where the reality of diminished physical capabilities set in. Reminds me of BigFins “you’ll run out of health before money” quote. No matter how bad they want it, there comes a point when their old legs can’t do the climbing and old backs can’t handle the packing.

This appears to be the reality for me. At 63, I’ve had a pacer for 8 years. Monday echo-cardio gram indicated an ejection fraction of only 30. Arteries clear. Need electrician, not plumber. Doc starting me on some new drug. As if that’s not enough, I’ve been dealing with torn Achilles tendons in both feet. The pain from which is why I’m up at 4 am typing this lol…….plus 4 years chronic plantar fasciitis & myriad of the usual knee injuries. Played recreational bball & hockey regularly until age 52.

I have been abandoning my highest elevation/rough terrain/backpack hunting choices in favor of easier terrains. But this fall got WY & NM tags in 10k’ units if doc lets me go. I’ll likely be relegated to tree stand hunting over wallows. Not sure what the future holds. Now I’m even concerned with air travel. Got a 30 hour 2 stop flight planned to China with wife July. Made a call to nurse yesterday informing her of all these plans. See what doc thinks, but it appears I’m in the “running out of health” camp.

Was able to burn only 8 of 350+ points this year. Not for lack of trying, but NR odds suck even in 20+ pools these days. Nothing I can do.

Last edited:
Back