Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Down bags, bivys, etc

I slept in my buddies SL 3 this year sheep hunting, we used his two BD poles for the support. They did well when the wind picked up every evening as we were based in some pretty significant channeling terrain. The poles trembled pretty good but held strong.

I take that back, it was a SL 5. Room for 3 and some gear though.

Last edited:
Carl, thanks for the information. I remember reading that review back when it was written, but had forgotten about it.

I spent one night in a Nallo 2 GT this fall. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't sit up in my sleeping back without hitting the side of the tent. It sounds like the String Ridge would be a bit better in that regard. If you know me, you know the length of the tent isn't really important. ;) I really like the huge vestibule of the Nallo, for almost no weight penalty. It sounds like the Nallo 2 (non-GT) is more comparible in size to the String Ridge, and would actually be almost a pound lighter, if the headroom and length were not an issue.

Thanks! The more information you give me to process, the more I change my mind about what I want....

Chris, The Vertex looks similar in size and weight to the Shangri-La 3, but I got the SL3 for $100 less. I'm not sold on the idea of a stove yet. I think if I were going to use a stove, I'd like a bigger tent.

FYI, for anyone looking for one, there is a slightly used Black Diamond Mega Light on Ebay right now, ending in about 40 minutes.

I picked up a Shangri-la 3 yesterday. Much heavier than the shelters you are using. I'll give it a try and see if I like it. I could really reduce the weight if I can figure out how to use 2 trekking poles for the center pole.

You will enjoy the SL3. You will also find its limitations rather quickly. However; weather, is NOT one of its limitations.
Mine held up on Kodiak last year goat hunting just fine. Actually more than fine, I was really rather impressed. I was half expecting to end up moving in with WDH or Indian Larry after one or two nights.

No need to use 2 poles. I use one of my BD trekkers most of the time and it works great. Leaving the center pole behind doesn't shave a whole lot of weight, but it does allow you to put the tent in a compression sack and pack it down quite a bit.

AS much as I like my SL3... I am leaning more towards a lightweight tarp like drifters.
Really like your setup Drifter !!!

I was really hoping to end up moving in with WDH or Indian Larry after one or two nights.
:confused:

WDH is pretty cute, who could resisit him?

I agree drifters homegrown stuff is awesome. He did have a blog with the construction of some of it. Almost inspired me enough to try on my own.

:D My point exactly. I even tried to leave my tent at the dock in Kodiak to push the issue, but Roland with Seahawk was quick and threw it in the plane when my back was turned

Link to blog?

The blog is offline. It has elements of my life that I like to keep between family and friends. Have fun with that one.:hump:

Anybody have experience with the kelty cosmic down sleeping bag? It's an economy priced down bag but got pretty good reviews from what i found and steep and cheap had the 20 degree version for $77 so I picked one up. Will be testing it in the Rattlesnake this weekend.

I love using my Hilleberg Soulo! I have used it from bottom lands to mountain, windy, snowing, hail (dime sized) rain and below 0*F and don't have a complaint. Finding lightweight and bomber gear is tough as 2 generally don't fit together. Not to mention some what subjective!

I have also used Exped tents with great success, this is the tent that I loan to buddies (that I would like to keep as friends) use on their first backpacking and or backcountry hunting trips.

Here is my Tent Gear List:
Hilleberg Soulo
Minimum Wt: 1.7 kg/3lbs 12oz
Packed Wt: 2.2 kg/4lbs 13oz
Inner Height: 95cm/38 in
Inner Tent Area: 2.0m sq /21.5' sq
Vestibule: Area: .7m sq / 7.6' sq
Poles: 9mm
Pegs: 12 V-Pegs

Exped Mira I
Single ridge pole with two short crossing poles
Free standing endoskeleton design
Fits one Exped M or LW mat
Roomy vestibule, one door
Rear “gear shed” with inner tent zip access
Average Minimum Weight: 1.3kg/2.9 lbs
Material Rainfly: 30 D ripstop-nylon, silicone- PU coated, factory seam taped
Canopy: ripstop-polyester, No-See-Um mosquito mesh
Floor: 70D Taffeta nylon, (5’000 mm water column)
Poles: DAC Featherlite NSL 8.5 mm and 9 mm TH72M

Exped DownMat 7 or Exped Airmat Basic UL 7.5
Valandré Mirage
Katadyn Vario & Katadyn Micropur tablets
JETBOIL Sōl or Flash

Hey Lawnboy please tell us you didn't buy the wife a matching bag!

Hey as cute as she is I'd be a fool to have an extra bag if you know what I mean besides if you go double dutch in one it drops the cold rating to like 40 below.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back