PEAX Equipment

Dogs

Thank you. Nice looking dog. We never had one or knew anybody that had one. I had to look it up and it sounds like it can do it all . Water, upland, track,--very nice!

Does the coat take anything special besides brushing a couple times a week ?

Again guys, thank you. man's best friend has been well represented on this thread

Europe, The Drahthaars are truly do it all dogs and most have a great off switch. He plays gently with my much older and smaller wirehaired griffon. I brush him about once a week but his coat is pretty hard. Need to pluck his head more than I do. His love of hunting is so strong as well as the others that I have been around, that I only recommend them to those who hunt a lot and have time to work them. If a guy buys a pup, trains with a local Drahthaar club and hunts them a lot early, you'll have a great dog.

Hey if there are no birds, anything with fur is just fine lol. Made it the whole season this year with no porcupines! Glad to see Hank retrieving rabbits. They should retrieve anything for sure.

Not sure how I missed this thread this week. I’m a sucker for dogs.

Our first hunting dog- she’s 6 now. I can’t remember what it was like before we got her. Her three most favorite things in the world are food, pheasants and snow.

2963C2A5-6AA5-4919-8087-98A170942A21.jpg

9B169D4B-0914-4A92-A111-C0AFF6DC5D85.jpg

AF49352B-CD77-44E9-B8FB-997866140F07.jpg

I think pheasants exist for dogs.
CvMMQ3U.jpg

I’ve never had a hunting dog but my pit bull has killed a few gophers and is the sweetest, gentlest family dog I’ve ever seen.
I don’t know what would be a good hunting application for a short coated dog with a strong jaw, but she is easy to train, fast learning, obedient, very eager to please, highly loyal and intelligent and does have a prey drive.
I have two dogs, and they are both great. But she does what we want her to because she wants to make us happy. The other does it for the reward.
DBC24333-4799-4338-9E08-1CA8E63744A4.jpg

Does antler (chew toy) hunting count?

6816D357-833C-4B70-BB59-CECFFE0C68BB.jpg

Last edited:
Hey if there are no birds, anything with fur is just fine lol. Made it the whole season this year with no porcupines! Glad to see Hank retrieving rabbits. They should retrieve anything for sure.
It took a bit of encouraging and he did spit it out once, but he did bring it to me. It was comical to see a bit of confusion on his face. Kind of like, "I can pick this up? You sure? YES!"... :D

I grew up in a home that had Chesapeakes. Great dogs with some quirky personalities and very protective, but loyal and loving. Powerful hunters who could never hunt enough.

The first dog I owned myself was 75% lab and 25% border collie. She was the most intelligent dog I have come across, but was not much of a hunter. She retrieved a few ducks but that's it. As far as a family dog I cannot imagine a better one.

Abby.jpg

My brother has a cocker spaniel, and he is a cantankerous old man, but he was and on occasion still is a great upland dog with many birds under his belt.

Huns.jpg

I'm currently raising a yellow lab. She is only 5 months old and so far I've only taken her on some late season Hun pursuits and a few rabbit hunting trips, but it's a whole different thing to raise a dog in a house full of kids. She'll be a good family dog.

Dog1.JPG

Very much enjoying this thread. I'll admit that I am biased but will say my favorite breed is a blue healer largely because of this gyp.

We got Daisy in the summer of 2009 a starter her as a cow dog. We always had a dog on the place, but this was the first pup my brother and I trained. Within a few days of having her, her personality showed through and the nickname "Daisy the Destroyer" still holds true today. Some frustrating times but we laugh about it today. I miss working with her as a pup getting cows up. She fed off of your energy. The louder and more excited we'd get the harder she would push them.

At the time we got her my brother, sister and her husband, myself, my parents, and grandma all lived within close walking distance. She truly became and still is a community family dog making her rounds among the barn and three house. In December of 2009 at 9 months old she got the left side of her muzzle crushed in by a horse or car (still a mystery).
Up until this point no dog of ours went to the vet except to get fixed and vaccines. Rather than putting her down Dad paid for her to go to the ICU at LSU Vet Clinic. She went on to make a full recovery luckily despite what the vets predicted and lives a good life. I was scared to death on a cold February morning when she was pushing cows out the lot and took a kick to the face, but was soon cheering her on when she got mad and went in for another heel nip.

We sold the dairy cows in April 2010, and the crazy beef cows we bought after were to too much for her. She got an early retirement is now mostly a pet with my grandma feeding her into obesity, at 91 years old you can't tell her not to. She has a strong prey drive and loves guns to the point of being disobedient with running down range in excitement. Possums and coons that get in the barn or fruit trees she'll bark at the house until we come out, run to where its at, then run back to you. Repeat that process until you shoot it out for her to finish off. Possums on the ground she'll take care of on her own but shes too fat and slow now to tangle with a grown coon. She'll retrieve a duck, but only if it's still alive.

duck.jpg

coon.jpg

As you can see by the pics, her favorite thing from since she was a pup until now is going to the river.

Jason river.jpg

Log.jpg

sandy pup.jpg

grown sand.jpg

old standing.jpg

You guys are making me want to override my wife and get a dog. I grew up with German Shorthairs and then in college I had a Springer Spaniel. None of them ever turned into hunters since they weren't trained well enough, but they were great companions. I like the idea of a Boykin or a Cocker. Something a little smaller than a springer.

rem.jpgREM1.jpg First I would like to say that ya'll have some awesome dogs and some great stories to go with the picture. I'll share a picture of our Remington, he isn't as hunting dog but he was train on blood trailing deer. He is a begging and farting machine. He is our first boxer and I can't imagine living without at least one from here on.

Fantastic pictures and stories---- Thank you guys and Hunting Wife

mtgomer, as mentioned earlier, we once had a german Shepard and a corgi, the corgi would try to hunt rabbits, otherwise they were just pets, but enjoyable ones, like your Pit Bulls

30-338---oh yes--porcupines-----pulled out many quills from various dogs --- also gave a few vinegar baths after their skunk encounter

JThump---what a great story thank you

TheBenhoyle---Dogs dont talk back (-: If you have children get one for the children--wink-- wink

Scott85---hey, blood trail tracking is an important quality--nice looking Boxer

Last edited:
I've done the de-skunking too many times, but never the porcupines. Hope to keep it that way.

This is something that happens on a regular basis and why field goldens have short coats. This is our other dog Asa after a quick walk in the timber behind the house.

OJDRWdx.jpg

Getting her back to this is a bit of a chore
fI3vSrW.jpg

Last edited:
Hey just joined the site. Awesome thread and site! I have a 9 month Small Munsterlander. 1st gun dog. Great dog so far! 20181125_092232.jpg20190127_101527.jpg

I'm a big fan of heelers as well. Josie is my second and has been at my side for over 8 years now. She's a heck of squirrel retriever, though I don't spend much time going after them anymore. She's still my number one scouting partner though. Gives me someone to talk to in the backcountry.

20180826_142510.jpg
20190104_151732.jpg
20190104_151809.jpg
View attachment 94306
jodeer.jpg
Snapchat-1620486935.jpg

I've been debating the idea of getting a more traditional bird dog for her to help me train before she gets too old, some kind of pointer maybe. I think I'll wait until I'm in a more permanent career for that though.

Awesome thread, lots of great looking dogs.

My wife and I rescued a Cat our last year of college in Florida. Catahoulas were originally bred as a catch dog for hogs. Taz's prey drive is through the roof. He helped run pest control at my folks farm when we moved back to Michigan after college. He loves to get after squirrels. I'd like to take him waterfowling but he gets too amped up and can't sit still, and he's the opposite of a soft mouth. He's got some awesome webbed feet for it though.

He's been a great dog, he's down for whatever, awesome with the kids, and we are super blessed he's around. He was still a pup when we left Florida, but I would have really liked to see him in a flak vest getting after some pigs.

FB_IMG_1549647389006.jpg

FB_IMG_1549647351320.jpg

FB_IMG_1549647330089.jpg

FB_IMG_1549647493848.jpg

FB_IMG_1549648824996.jpg

I'm a big fan of heelers as well. Josie is my second and has been at my side for over 8 years now. She's a heck of squirrel retriever, though I don't spend much time going after them anymore. She's still my number one scouting partner though. Gives me someone to talk to in the backcountry.

Awesome thread, lots of great looking dogs.

My wife and I rescued a Cat our last year of college in Florida. Catahoulas were originally bred as a catch dog for hogs. Taz's prey drive is through the roof. He helped run pest control at my folks farm when we moved back to Michigan after college. He loves to get after squirrels. I'd like to take him waterfowling but he gets too amped up and can't sit still, and he's the opposite of a soft mouth. He's got some awesome webbed feet for it though.

He's been a great dog, he's down for whatever, awesome with the kids, and we are super blessed he's around. He was still a pup when we left Florida, but I would have really liked to see him in a flak vest getting after some pigs.

Looks like my grandma has been feeding all our dogs. LOL

Never seen a heeler so white. Very pretty. Even aside from my heeler they seem to have more human personalities than other breeds. Enjoy being around them.

And it's hard to beat a good cur dog. My next dog will be a cur of some type and hope to use it for squirrel and coon hunting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back