Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DIY Mule Deer

med1313

Need Advice,
Would like help on planning a diy mule deer archery hunt for 2011. It will be my first time but on my own but have hunted for years, its important that I get the experience not the TROPHY. Would like public land to camp early season for milder weather. Any western state low pressure areas would be good like I mentioned doesnt have to be a trophy, just cutting my teeth. Thanks alot

Being new to the drawing game, your best odds for rifle are going to be CO, WY, or MT. Or, an over the counter tag in Idaho. All would be good rifle options.

If archery is an option, your possibilities just got a whole lot better.

All of those states have drawing deadlines in the winter or spring. Usually in March or April. Hang around this site and you will see guys talking about those drawing deadlines and how the process works.

It will be a ton of fun, as your first western hunt. Good luck and thanks for joining the fray.

Pretty much any of the western states would be perfect.

The one thing that will greatly improve your odds an success is to be able to shoot out to a minimum of 60 yards. I suggest practicing out to 80+ and you'll be amazed how easy that 60 yard shot becomes.

Thx for the advice guys will def practice the bow like crazy good to 50 never thought of practicing even further. As it gets closer to draw dates ill ask about states, units, areas, and terrain. wyoming idaho and montana would be awesome experience

Thx

Another option would be Utah. I've been archery hunting Utah the past couple of years and the experience has been excellent.

I am with med1313, I am just getting my feet wet with western big game.

I have purchased pref points in Wyoming this year.

I was wondering where they were hunting in eastern Montana, I must have missed it on the show.

Not much on bow hunting these days are there still good chances for rifle hunters?

Thanks
Bob

Yes Utah has a great general season tags left over every year with early dates. Look around in the Fish Lake Forest area, tons of deer to be had with a bow and theres even a few whoppers hanging out solo in the high country.

Good luck on getting any help from the Colorado hunters on this site if your new to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being from Texas, SW Colorado would be fairly close to you. Draw odds for archery tags are relatively good for most units down there, and most have lots of public land. I've never hunted down there, but a little research on your part should yield a decent hunt. Might even be close enough that you could make a summer scouting trip.

If you're really looking for small deer, just follow me around Arizona. I'll be out on my first bowhunt in 10 days and I'm like a magnet for tiny mule deer. I might even stick an arrow in one of those I wouldn't even give a second look to on a rifle hunt. Just for the experience. This is the debate going on in my brain right now--whether to wait for a "shooter" or get my first arrow bloodied on a tight (3 day) schedule.

As 402 said, most of the state is OTC for archery but sadly, the deer numbers in Arizona just aren't there anymore. If I was traveling long distance I'd honestly consider somewhere else.

Last edited:
Took my first trip to WY for mule deer in 06 and no regrets. You can do a real afordable DIY mule deer hunt in WY for under $1,500.00. The northeast corner of the state has very easy drawing odds. There is some CWD up there, but there is a lot of public land. If you get the BLM maps and make a few calls to Wyoming Fish and Game, you'll have a great time. I'm building points and hope to head back for a limited quota area hunt in a year or so. Good luck. Hitman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back