Custom bolt gun options

Every builder does their version of a m700 clone and most of em are yawners.

What I’d like to see is something designed purely for function without bullshit that adds cost. Use a tikka action because it’s cheaper than all the clones, runs better than most of them, and has a more reliable trigger than all of em.

Use premium steel barrel with something from a tikka lite to a rem magnum contour @ 18” long but belled at muzzle for 5/8” threads if contour is not heavy enough. No carbon or glitzy fluting that adds cost and increases odds of the barrel being finicky IMO. I think if you did runs of just these barrels in a few cartridges (more on that later) to make it more efficient you’d get buyers.

The real difference maker would be in the stock. Get someone to build a stock that’s actually designed around breaking good shots and managing recoil! Gunwerks magnus or nexus shape is a good basis to start with. Needs zero drop at heel, negative comb, flat toe to ride well on rear bag, a vertical grip that’s close to the trigger (lots of vertical grips leave me reaching still) with a nice thumb shelf, parallel fore end. Leave the channel open ala manners LRH or PH or how grayboe does it. That way it’s one single inlet for all Tikkas, allows flexibility with switching barrels and way less custom work needed. Don’t give a shit what it’s made out of. If it’s some plastic that meets weight and stiffness requirements, holds up well functionally, and keeps price down, fine by me.

Sell in 223 Wylde, 22 creedmoor, 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. Maybe 308 win, 284 win, 7 PRC, and some 6 BR variant (if you can be sure they’ll feed 100%).

Maybe offer some 22 or 24” barrel options of you must for the non suppressor guys.

The market would be people that use the rifle as a tool, strive to be better rounded rifleman, are going to beat it up an burn out barrels so they don’t want to waste $ on carbon everything or some super pretty flute job. Basically this would be similar to a gunwerks werkman without the scope or “system” schtick.

I’ll have tikkas like this in 223 and 6 creed soon with a spare 6.5 creed barrel. The peice that doesn’t exist yet is the stock. I’ll probably use Frankenstein’d factory stocks or KRG bravos until the right stock exists.
I think @Wind Gypsy has described a great rifle and you probably wouldn’t have one last a week in the classifieds.

@JLS got me thinking. What about being the first person to really bring back some ornate metal work with gold inlay and use a Dremel Tool to carve some super fancy checkering into an expensive carbon fiber stock. We have given you a clear vision of what everyone and no one wants.

Could you sell a nearly finished rifle? I’m an oversized human and have a hard time finding an off the shelf rifle that doesn’t feel like I’m trying to put on a pair of my wife’s heels. Big and Tall stores exist for a reason. Maybe there’s a market for smaller people too.

If your goal is to move a couple of rifles initially I would focus on what is new and hot. It’s the way of the world. I would be very interested in a 7mm PRC if it sticks. The stats make me grin.

I think @Wind Gypsy has described a great rifle and you probably wouldn’t have one last a week in the classifieds.
But, if I were looking a rifle one like that isn't getting a second look from me. There are other guys like me out there. It's a challenge for sure. mtmuley I just noticed the 24 inch barrel option. We're getting there.

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit. Here’s my perspective…

Tikka actions are on the money, but the barrels are almost too good to scrap and the triggers are excellent with a lighter spring. What if you roll with Tikka factory chamberings in Lites and CTR’s, spruce them up, and sell with nicer handles.

Option 1, Modern Hunter style:
T3X Lite in whatever factory chambering
-cut to 20”, thread to 9/16 with a blended cap
-cerakote black
-put in lighter spring
-offer two stock options in Manners EHSL pattern…blind mag that you bed or their mini chassis with aics dbm

Option 2, Long Range Hunter style:
CTR in whatever factory chambering, the shorter 20” ones
-already threaded
-cerakote black
-put in lighter spring
-offer two stock options, Manners EH1 with Tikka mini chassis or EHSL with a Tikka mini chassis

You could do pretty big volume on something like that and you’re only spending labor to bed 1 of the 4 combos.

But, if I were looking a rifle one like that isn't getting a second look from me. There are other guys like me out there. It's a challenge for sure. mtmuley I just noticed the 24 inch barrel option. We're getting there.
There would only be few of us interested in a non-threaded, sporter weight barreled 300 RUM. Even fewer people who didn’t want a Wyatt’s mag box. 😀

Personally, if I were going with a gunsmith build, I would want to pick out all of the pieces myself. However, @p_ham appears to be wanting to build a spec gun that would appeal to many. Throw together a 6mm Creedmoor, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5mm PRC, or a 7mm PRC in a rifle described by @Wind Gypsy, with a couple of stock choices, shoot a 1/2” to 5/8” group with Hornady Match or Precision Hunter ammo, post a photo of the target with the rifle, and, assuming a decent price point, it would not last long. I would stick with the OEM Tikka sporter profile out to the point the muzzle flares so it would be easier for people to switch stocks in the future. Having the option to order a second barrel at the same time would be a plus.

@JLS got me thinking. What about being the first person to really bring back some ornate metal work with gold inlay and use a Dremel Tool to carve some super fancy checkering into an expensive carbon fiber stock. We have given you a clear vision of what everyone and no one wants.

Could you sell a nearly finished rifle? I’m an oversized human and have a hard time finding an off the shelf rifle that doesn’t feel like I’m trying to put on a pair of my wife’s heels. Big and Tall stores exist for a reason. Maybe there’s a market for smaller people too.

If your goal is to move a couple of rifles initially I would focus on what is new and hot. It’s the way of the world. I would be very interested in a 7mm PRC if it sticks. The stats make me grin.
So a long LOP stock without a pad on it?

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit. Here’s my perspective…

Tikka actions are on the money, but the barrels are almost too good to scrap and the triggers are excellent with a lighter spring. What if you roll with Tikka factory chamberings in Lites and CTR’s, spruce them up, and sell with nicer handles.

Option 1, Modern Hunter style:
T3X Lite in whatever factory chambering
-cut to 20”, thread to 9/16 with a blended cap
-cerakote black
-put in lighter spring
-offer two stock options in Manners EHSL pattern…blind mag that you bed or their mini chassis with aics dbm

Option 2, Long Range Hunter style:
CTR in whatever factory chambering, the shorter 20” ones
-already threaded
-cerakote black
-put in lighter spring
-offer two stock options, Manners EH1 with Tikka mini chassis or EHSL with a Tikka mini chassis

You could do pretty big volume on something like that and you’re only spending labor to bed 1 of the 4 combos.
Good idea, I hadn't though of just sprucing up a Tikka.

Given the respected opinions of a few here I'm tempted to pick up a good stock and a tikka and ship to Nevada. Or have Nevada order it directly, if that's a possibility.
I can get them. Once complete it would ship to your preferred ffl.

There would only be few of us interested in a non-threaded, sporter weight barreled 300 RUM. Even fewer people who didn’t want a Wyatt’s mag box. 😀

Personally, if I were going with a gunsmith build, I would want to pick out all of the pieces myself. However, @p_ham appears to be wanting to build a spec gun that would appeal to many. Throw together a 6mm Creedmoor, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5mm PRC, or a 7mm PRC in a rifle described by @Wind Gypsy, with a couple of stock choices, shoot a 1/2” to 5/8” group with Hornady Match or Precision Hunter ammo, post a photo of the target with the rifle, and, assuming a decent price point, it would not last long. I would stick with the OEM Tikka sporter profile out to the point the muzzle flares so it would be easier for people to switch stocks in the future. Having the option to order a second barrel at the same time would be a plus.
I do like the idea of the sporter weight barrel flared out for threading

Maybe shoot for a different market with the Tikka builds? There’s more than a few dads and grandpas on here - I know something like @brockel shorty 6.5 PRC in a youth stock would be pretty hard for me to pass up in 3-4 years.
A shorter barrel adjustable stock gun for youth shooters would sell well and be able to grow with them.

I actually really love the Tikka ideas that are arising. I love mine that I have tricked out. This is a Tikka Wideland Veil in 6.5 CM. I bedded it, upgraded the bottom metal, clip, bolt shroud, recoil lug and more. Most of the parts are Mountain Tactical. @JLS helped me work up a Hammer load. It shoots superbly accurately, barely kicks, and its a lifetime keeper. It’s great for the range, and hunting. It was fun making it my own, and it did improve the shooting. I changed out the bolt lever after this photo. An awesome upgrade was the soft-touch vertical grip, and shims to lengthen the stock. Maybe people would jump on something like this?81C99562-8A40-449D-8104-E12B2FA16D32.jpeg

So a long LOP stock without a pad on it?

I can get them. Once complete it would ship to your preferred ffl.

I do like the idea of the sporter weight barrel flared out for threading

A shorter barrel adjustable stock gun for youth shooters would sell well and be able to grow with them.

Whatever it takes to have a rifle that fits. Factory rifles are like chairs, they’re built for the average Joe.

What do you bring to the table that Joe smuckatelli can’t do himself? Why would that price point buyer spend the extra money to buy a factory rifle with a different stock. Especially if Joe has never used a higher end stock. He or she has no idea what they are missing. Nor will they have the budget to replace something that works from the factory.

Your niche is the machining, coating, and wood finishing. Joe can’t do that and will pay to have it done. That is where you will make money. Specialize in what others won’t or can’t do.

Is there anyone that sells hopped up Tikka’s, think the Roush of Mustangs. They’re still Mustangs, but spicier. Could you get a deal form Mountain Tactical on parts? I have the Raptor ring setup on my 300 and it‘s AWESOME. I hear you @Addicting , but most people are lazy and/or can’t even fix their own dripping faucet.

Also, the silencer market is exploding. Can you maximize that?

Last edited:
Is there anyone that sells hopped up Tikka’s, think the Roush of Mustangs. They’re still Mustangs, but spicier. Could you get a deal form Mountain Tactical on parts? I have the Raptor ring setup on my 300 and it‘s AWESOME. I hear you @Addicting , but most people are lazy and/or can’t even fix their own dripping faucet.

Also, the silencer market is exploding. Can you maximize that?
I did some more testing of my integral suppressor today. .5 MOA with cheap Federal Fusion ammo. So yes, I'm working on a line of suppressors too. I need to get a good decibal meter still.

Back