Caribou Gear

Crazies Goat Tag

Phil Tuccillo

So I'm pretty jacked I drew a MT goat tag in the Crazy Mountains this year. Anyone have any past or current experience with MT goats in that area. I live in eastern MT. so at least I'm in state to be able to scout and such. I've been doing a lot of research but I figured I would throw it out there and see what comes back.
Thanks in advance, Phil

I was in a pretty similar situation to you back in 2010. I live in far northeastern MT and drew a tag south of you. First, order a forest service map from the office that covers your area. once you have it, its time to start making calls. Most people are very helpful with questions. Don't just ask about where to find goats but also your best way to access the area you'll be hunting, what kind of weather to expect (not that you can predict it) at the time of year you're going. The forest service is usually good about answering questions as well as biologists, game wardens, and anyone else that spends time in the country. Google Earth is also a great resource. There are a good number of goat tags issued in the Crazies so if it were me i'd hunt the middle of the week if at all possible. Once you've gotten as much info. as you can from these people and familiarized yourself with the area on your map, try to make at least one scouting trip. Good luck and do the hunt justice. It was the most amazing hunting experience of my life.

On the western slope is a fs cabin, Porcupine. Just east of it is a deep heavily timbered canyon that has a rocky westerly face; I've ran into goats several times there. In theory you could rent the cabin and hunt them everyday. With that said, I've never hunted goats there so this could be a terrible approach to filling that tag. Talk to the biologist and get a book of hiking trails to learn your best access points. Online you will find yearly success rates and a map should be a available that shows where they were wacked. My advice, don't wait to long for them to hair up or you stand the chance of getting snowed out and eating the tag.

Congrats on the tag, and to get you excited here's a goat that came from the crazies last year around the first of Oct. I was scoping out taxidermists and this one was just brought in. This one had awesome glands! Good luck can't wait to see pictures!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,514
That's just awesome! Going up this next weekend to scout. I've hiked in to twin lakes and camped before other then that not much experience with the area. I'm not sure but with 84 tags I would think twin lakes and other areas like that with good trails will be swarming with hunters. Any thoughts on that??? I plan on being there 2 days before season starts hoping to get an eye on something.

Do any Crazy Mtn goat hunters have any updates? We just spent 5 days up hunting and found mainly nannies and kids. Has anyone had some success?

I killed a goat in the crazies a couple weeks ago . Saw lots of goats. PM me if you want some info.

I shot a 10 year old Billy on day 2 of the season around Glacier lake. Just above Twin lakes I watched several different billy's I couldn't get on but I'm sure all that's a different story now. I know a few others that killed billy's up Big Timber canyon.

Yes you Phil...just curious how you did and what you saw...a few years back people we saying that because of all the tags Billys were hard to come by? I got a nice Billy back in 1998

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back