Caribou Gear

Cow Elk

fargoflyfish

If you had to pick one spot to go after a cow elk where would it be? I am thinking about trying to get a MT tag again, but am considering ID, CO and WY also. Are any spots really easy to get a tag? Thanks.

Do you use a muzzleloader? Colorado has a lot of GMUs that have undersubscribed cow elk muzzleloader tags each year. Many of those units are in breath-taking country with a lot elk. Plus, you'll be hunting them in the rut when the crazy bulls are giving away their location. Doesn't get much better than that.

I like that idea! I have been looking to get a muzzleloader for a while, but haven't had a reason. I've never hunted in CO. Any suggestions about some online resources? I was looking into it a few years ago and I think the FWP for CO had some good stuff on their site. Thanks for the idea.

For cow elk I would go where as close to my home as possible. So for you, probably Montana.

I have always heard people talk about the white river national forest. Is that a good place to direct my efforts or more NW?

White River NF has a lot of great elk country and a lot of elk. Same with NW CO. If you're getting a muzzleloader anyway, you should consider CO. Those Sept cow hunts can be a lot fun. There's even a rifle cow hunt in GMU 45 in Sept. Colo used to have those in more GMUs but not anymore. And if you archery hunt there are a ton of GMUs in CO that have OTC cow elk tags.

Last edited:
Colorado unit 12 or unit 4 ,both have a large herd and both getting a lot of hunting pressure in the first rifle seasons,but archery or muzzleloader is a lot less pressure and the success rate is still pretty good.

Between muzzleloader and archery, which will have the highest percentage of a chance at a shot opportunity? Disregarding my ability to make a successful kill shot with either weapon. I am comfortable with both even though I realize neither is exactly a gimme.

either works but I like hunting with my muzzleloader. Also try cow calling/talking to the cows.I have brought cow elk to within 20 feet of me with a Sceery ACE-1 cow call. Also have worked on bulls. This is my favorite of all my elk calls.Just a soft and easy call or the fighting cow or lost cow,these work.just depends where and when.

Thanks for the tips. I really enjoy the challenge and the close encounters of bow hunting but the main thing is making sure I fill the freezer. May have to try and convince the wife to let me go. Also need to study up on the requirements for muzzleloaders in CO.

Colorado unit 12 or unit 4 ,both have a large herd and both getting a lot of hunting pressure in the first rifle seasons,but archery or muzzleloader is a lot less pressure and the success rate is still pretty good.

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to me like, according to this map, units 4 & 12 are private land only for OTC archery. I haven't found a map for muzzleloader season yet.

Am I reading it correctly?

Thanks for all the info so far! All of that info should keep me busy researching for a while. I do like bowhunting, but my success rate is pretty low (1 deer in 15 yrs). I really want to get an elk in the freezer so I am thinking muzzleloader might be a better option.

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to me like, according to this map, units 4 & 12 are private land only for OTC archery. I haven't found a map for muzzleloader season yet.

Am I reading it correctly?

Yes they are draw unit for archery and muzzleloader ,but I have drew a cow tag with no pref points .

unit 7 in Wyoming give out a lot of cow tags.An easy draw and often have leftover tags.success rate is high.You can hunt beginning Sept. 1st with a bow and if unsuccessful,hunt with a rifle beginning Oct.15th.
You must purchase an archery stamp to hunt during the archery season.

When I started this thread, I was planning on heading to the mountains in 2014 for some cow elk hunting. However I got lucky and got my ND tag.

Looking forward to 2015 I am going to go for sure. I would still like to go to Montana mainly because of the ease of getting a tag. I would prefer to still get a cow tag for a couple of years before trying to get a bull. I think this would be beneficial in learning an area to set myself up for future success.

Last time I hunted Montana, I was south of Ennis in area 320 or 330. I am assuming it is a good area based on the number of hunters we saw, but the weather was very warm and didn't do us any favors. One thing I didn't like about the area we were in was the number of ATVs. We were getting up very early each morning to walk from the truck and would get passed by a ton of ATVs right before we would get to our spot. This time I wouldn't mind trying a different unit with less ATV access. My hunting buddy and I are both more than able to cover a lot of miles each day.

Any units that have little to no ATV trails?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back