Core Lokt for Elk?

The more expensive bullets (bonded, solid copper, etc) are generally "better" at weight retention, penetration, and less fragments. This is not necessarily being better at producing dead animals.

3x times the cost......
I think its funny how when it comes to health issue people pay hundreds of thousand of dollars on "cure" and little or nothing on prevention.

Think about this for a second. Let's say you have a couple of little kids at home. Now modern medicine has deemed it unsafe for your two children to be exposed to paint chips that contain lead for fear that they might eat them. But you are willing to shoot a deer with a lead bullet have it fragment (I shot Burger bullets for a while) clean out what blood shot you can and send it to a butcher. When you get a package of hamburger out you cook it up and sit back and smile as you watch your offspring scarf down the healthy meat you put on the table.

Flash forward 20 years maybe you children never got sick but did they both reached their full potential IQ? Is little Johnny shaky when he tries to aim is rifle?
Will he be diagnosed with a neurological degenerative disease at an early age. Does little Sarah have a behavioral problem?

My point is the medical community knows its bad for humans to have lead in our bodies but they can't say just how bad or what diseases it can or cannot cause.

I definitely wouldn't feed lead to children and if it hurts children why would I take the risk and potentially eat some myself.

Rant over...

that's why I shoot everything with a bow....... :D

that being said, the more fragmentation the more damage it does.... I use the 130 gr. hornady SST bullet and out of my .270 it is devistating.... all you have too do is cut out all the trashed meat that is blood/fragments in them..... high shoulder or neck shot and you won't wreck much meat and no tracking.....:D :D my wife shot her Cow elk at 306 last year and it didn't take a step, I shot an antelope at 500 yards 2 years ago and didn't take a step.... awesome bullets fragment.......:W: and if you care for your meat and cut the fat and blood/destroyed meat you won't be eating any lead.... that's another reason I process everything myself, my rant over... sorry for disagreeing with you Elkmagnet.....:D
Matt

...so my question about lead is why aren't the old hunters falling over dead from ingesting it? ...

Just because it doesn't kill me, doesn't mean it can't cause any problems. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002473.htm indicates headaches are one symptom, along with various behavioral problems. Kidney damage too. My personal choice is to eliminate whatever I have control over that has any chance of causing me or my family any amount of harm.

I still go for CoreLokt or similar for practice at the range, but started hunting with the high-end lead bullets several years ago. Then, I switched to copper in 2010. Last year, my Barnes cartridges were cheaper than the Partitions next to them on the shelf. So, for me, non-lead is the winner - no health risks, slightly cheaper and they shoot better in my rifle.

Duck-Slayer, those lead particles travel further than you may think. In my own test the xray showed fragments several inches from the bullet hole, and there was no visible damage to be trimmed away.

I don't know anyone with any health problems from lead ammo. People who eat wild game are generally healthier anyway. Cut the bloodshot out, you will be fine. Anyways, now that we are completely off topic, thanks everyone. Since I am on a budget this year I will be going with the Core-lokts. I will report back on their performance.

I don't know anyone with any health problems from lead ammo. People who eat wild game are generally healthier anyway. Cut the bloodshot out, you will be fine.

Not necessarily the best argument, their problems may not be readily apparent or not addressed by a doctor. Environmental medicine is a huge component of my wife's medical practice and one of the cornerstones of her practice is fixing the things that are often overlooked by most doctors.

Many people and most doctors don't recognize that they are ill without obvious signs and symptoms.

We grew up on CoreLokt and my grand kids have grown up on CoreLokt. Hmm.... dad and mom both made in into their 90's although that was due to bacon grease. From the sounds of things I better start looking at a nursing home before I go off??
But again, if you do not process your own be damn careful cleaning up what you take to the butcher. Luckily have never bit into lead, even birds.

I don't know anyone with any health problems from lead ammo. People who eat wild game are generally healthier anyway. Cut the bloodshot out, you will be fine. Anyways, now that we are completely off topic, thanks everyone. Since I am on a budget this year I will be going with the Core-lokts. I will report back on their performance.
The Cl's will do the job have a good hunt.

I'm pretty sure I ingest more lead biting those split shot sinkers I put on the kiddos fishing poles. Reminds me of the warnings you see on everything. ".......is known by the State of California to cause cancer" What isn't known by the State of California to cause cancer?

I guess you can add Accubonds to the bad guy list as well.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I ingest more lead biting those split shot sinkers I put on the kiddos fishing poles. Reminds me of the warnings you see on everything. ".......is known by the State of California to cause cancer" What isn't known by the State of California to cause cancer?

I guess you can add Accubonds to the bad guy list as well.

LOL.......:D:D:D
Matt

".......is known by the State of California to cause cancer" What isn't known by the State of California to cause cancer?

I consider California to be the cancer of our nation, so where does that leave us?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back