Core Lokt for Elk?

My 7mm SAUM likes the 150 Remington factory load better than anything we have tried loading with a 168gr Berger bullet. I think I'm going back to it for elk hunting this fall

I saved a lot of my brass, and I think I still have several boxes with the $9.99 price tag still on em. I might even have one or two with cheaper prices. mtmuley

Lawnboy taught me that core lokts are the "deadliest mushrooms in the woods." I've seen a few elk killed with em and the elk never complained. I think some guys shy away from them because of the affordable price...they are used to thinking they have to pay a lot of money to get something that works well. If they group well in your gun then keep shooting them and keep smiling you don't have to pay the high price of some ammo.

IMHO they are one of the most trust worthy bullets you can buy, especially for the price. If you can hit where you're aiming they will work great.

I can't think of one time in 35 years of hunting that I've ever eaten a lead fragment. mtmuley

I can't think of one time in 35 years of hunting that I've ever eaten a lead fragment. mtmuley

A few years ago, I saw a shred of bullet jacket with lead exit my meat grinder. I always trim away all damage I find, but that got past me.

More recently, after lead bullets started getting more attention I decided to test for myself. I had a veterinarian friend x-ray the frozen heart of the buck I had shot the previous year. I was very surprised at the results. About 30 metal fragments were visible on the film, most the size of a flake of black pepper or smaller. The bullet had entered a few inches forward of the heart, and as always I had removed all visible damage.

Possibly, you have eaten these tiny lead fragments and never knew it. My personal choice has been to switch to solid copper. I have killed three animals with those and have been pleased with their performance and grouping.

The more reading I do on lead the more I want to make sure not to eat anymore. Look up the biological half life of lead in the human body.

I believe we have all eaten our share of lead. Mostly from Burger.

The question isn't why switch to copper, its why not?

My great grandfather and grandfather both shot a lot of critters with corelokts and I doubt ever gave a thought about the lead. Great grandpa made it well into his 90's, great grandma who ate all of it too is pushing 100 and grandpa is almost 80 and doing fine. Not many years went by with them not filling all of the tags the state would give them, so my question about lead is why aren't the old hunters falling over dead from ingesting it? Granted great gramps was a coal miner and gramps was a firefighter for forty years and made it through all that so maybe they were just lucky.

I figure I've shot at least 2 dozen big game animals with core lokts for the 270. Had nothing but good experiences as long as I do my part and put the bullet where it needs to go.

I used E-Tips one year, so I have a copper bullet load. Lead isn't illegal where I hunt, and my favorite bullet happens to be lead. If and when "they" tell me to switch, I guess I will. mtmuley

The more reading I do on lead the more I want to make sure not to eat anymore. Look up the biological half life of lead in the human body.

I believe we have all eaten our share of lead. Mostly from Burger.

The question isn't why switch to copper, its why not?

3x times the cost......

There is lead in more things then one would think. I don't think we realized every thing that contains lead and how much you absorb, inhale, or injest from sources other then bullets....you know things like lawn mower exhaust, dried plums, old paint, water, dust, foil, the glazing on your coffee mug and on and on.
I'm not worried about shooting lead and will continue to.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back