Caribou Gear

Commission meeting

Not every decision the G&F makes has to do with biology. Never has, never will. Some decisions are people management, budgetary, etc. While I do not agree with making NR region, I actually think since the G&F are the ones that were asked by the Commission to come up with proposals to go to regions, I think this is actually a pretty sound thought process to use. Also agree that if and when this change happens a whole bunch of the Type 6&7 tags need to go back to Type 4, since Type 4's being subtracted from 7250 was the main reason used to create the Type 6&7 tags.
Some interesting and good points.

Not every decision the G&F makes has to do with biology. Never has, never will. Some decisions are people management, budgetary, etc. While I do not agree with making NR region, I actually think since the G&F are the ones that were asked by the Commission to come up with proposals to go to regions, I think this is actually a pretty sound thought process to use. Also agree that if and when this change happens a whole bunch of the Type 6&7 tags need to go back to Type 4, since Type 4's being subtracted from 7250 was the main reason used to create the Type 6&7 tags.
It's obvious you have as much a handle on this as anyone. Better than the Dept IMO. This train is going to be very hard to stop, even with it's lack of support by most all resident sportsman and some NR.

One slight disagreement: type 6&7 tags were created so one hunter could have two tags. At first, there were many leftovers. About 10-15 years ago, once they caught on, the Dept figured out they could change type 4&5 to 6&7 and get more general nr tags issued in the 7250 quota. Some complaining put a stop to it.

I agree, at some point, due to price difference and no cap, they will change many back to full price.

One slight disagreement: type 6&7 tags were created so one hunter could have two tags. At first, there were many leftovers. About 10-15 years ago, once they caught on, the Dept figured out they could change type 4&5 to 6&7 and get more general nr tags issued in the 7250 quota. Some complaining put a stop to it.
Entirely possible you are correct, also my wording was a bit messy. I generally try to refrain from disagreing with you since you seem to kick my ass with facts, knowledge and history. I am getting my history on this from the White Paper the G&F put out about NR elk license allocation in 2015. It has some language that 1997 was the first year they issue cow/calf tags and at that time they were full priced and subject to the 7250 allocation. Also in 97 the G&F formed a committee to evaluate how to increase NR elk licenses. This effort was stopped in 1998 when WyOGA sued the G&F for their method of allocating NR deer and elk licenses. In 1999 they created the reduced price Type 6&7 which was not in the 7250 allocation. It doesn't expressly say this in the WP but I assumed the creation of 6&7 was done to some degree to appease WyOGA about the corresponding decrease in NR Gen tags. I believe 1999 was the first year a person could get two elk tags, one FP, one RP. Not certain I am right. 2011 was the first year a person could get two reduced price elk tags, either one FP and 1 RP, or 2 RP licenses. The WP has some language that this was done because of the number of leftover tags at the time. Then in 2013 they went to up to 3 elk licenses with 1 FP and 2 RP or 3 RP. I recall this was done for the same reason, too many leftover tags people not killing enough cows.

Does this agree with your recollection?

Entirely possible you are correct, also my wording was a bit messy. I generally try to refrain from disagreing with you since you seem to kick my ass with facts, knowledge and history. I am getting my history on this from the White Paper the G&F put out about NR elk license allocation in 2015. It has some language that 1997 was the first year they issue cow/calf tags and at that time they were full priced and subject to the 7250 allocation. Also in 97 the G&F formed a committee to evaluate how to increase NR elk licenses. This effort was stopped in 1998 when WyOGA sued the G&F for their method of allocating NR deer and elk licenses. In 1999 they created the reduced price Type 6&7 which was not in the 7250 allocation. It doesn't expressly say this in the WP but I assumed the creation of 6&7 was done to some degree to appease WyOGA about the corresponding decrease in NR Gen tags. I believe 1999 was the first year a person could get two elk tags, one FP, one RP. Not certain I am right. 2011 was the first year a person could get two reduced price elk tags, either one FP and 1 RP, or 2 RP licenses. The WP has some language that this was done because of the number of leftover tags at the time. Then in 2013 they went to up to 3 elk licenses with 1 FP and 2 RP or 3 RP. I recall this was done for the same reason, too many leftover tags people not killing enough cows.

I remember a lot of things, but confirming your details would require some homework. I'm certain type 6&7 reduced price were always allowed as a second tag or two of them as both tags.
When numbers of type 4&5 tags were left over after allowing 3 tags per person, only one being full price, there was an effort to change the 4&5 tags to reduced price. I was involved with a regulation change to allow up to three full price tags per hunter to stop that nonsense.

I've read that WP and one thing about white papers I've learned over the years, is they can be heavily biased.

Wow that makes perfect sense now.

Can you please clarify one more thing for me, which year is my family and I guaranteed our type 1 elk tags?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back