Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Commission meeting

Wolves in most of the state have no quota, most lion quotas don't fill, we can bait bears, some areas have a 2 lion limit per hunter.

I think anyone claiming WY doesn't hit the predators pretty hard is a joke.
I think we could definitely loosen the quotas in some areas. Especially the bear. Yes wolves in most of the state are not an issue but we have other predators too that take an impact. Granted I would suggest that under current management the feral horses have a bigger impact than some of the predators.

The one area where we could definitely do more is along the southern border and fight back all the excess bears that push on from Colorado. Those quotas should go up.

How soon will they have the minutes from the meeting out or put out the finalized tag numbers?

So are the final license allocations per area now available? If so, where can they be viewed? Thanks.

Only change to what's been printed already (go look on the website) is 50 less NR deer tags in Region G.

I also heard from a reliable source, some of the pronghorn and deer quotas may still change after the commission meeting, in particular in the red desert areas.

Only change to what's been printed already (go look on the website) is 50 less NR deer tags in Region G.
Thank you, I have the updated 4/7 ones printed out. I am a little surprised they didn’t cut some more.

Thank you, I have the updated 4/7 ones printed out. I am a little surprised they didn’t cut some more.
Just be aware there could, and very likely will be, some quota changes in the hardest hit areas of the state with lots of winter kill.

Didn’t get a chance to listen but had the privilege of driving through Baggs from I80 downward this week since the highways are pretty bare at this point. I’ve never seen as many dead bodies of animals in my life.

I saw two cow elk piled on top of each other as of a snow plow intentionally pushed them that way. I counted 13 dead animals within 1/4 mile between Baggs and Craig. These animals also did not perish from ravens or crows yet. It’s almost as if they just thawed from a permafrost and are ready for you to quarter right now. I counted 3 other cows that got tangled in a fence and perished with their leg trapped.

I’m driving through Dinosaur to Craig tomorrow. Sincerely considering changing my route so I don’t have to see that again. I fear that G&F, although doing the right thing, may not be enough.

I would like to see spring bear extended 2 weeks, most units never hit mortaility #s anyways. The data has been compliled for years, remove mortailty quota for bears and go strictly seasons like idaho, using data for season dates. With the recent boost in shed hunting i also believe it decreases spring bear harvest as all those extra people in country many bear hunt.
Population problems shouldnt be contributed to predators, do they impact yes but only minor compared to g&f management. I have never understood why have antlerless hunts that start so early in seasons. I dont know if there ever been a study done but i would bet likelyhood of a yearing surviving following winter after its mother was shot. I am guessing its likelyhood of survival would be drastically improved if the doe was shot 1 november compared to 15 august as some units allow with rifles.
Still dont understand how G tags were not reduced and state allowed outfitters(alleged) to influence season dates in H&G. They should have shortened season on front end not back end, clearly not most they can due in region!
Th units we hunt hit the mortality quotas in 2-3 weeks!

Th units we hunt hit the mortality quotas in 2-3 weeks!
Then your in the minority likely units 8 or 9 or maybe bighorns but most of the 35 units fail to ever hit there quotas or are unlimited. They do roll quotas but why bother is my point. If your unit is always hit in 2-3 weeks just set a season for 3 weeks! Why make it more difficult just remove some barriers to predator hunting, its a easy minor adjustment that also could if done right reduces g&f costs significantly. In 2012 1810 active spring hunters killed 250 bears(14%) in 2021: 2462 spring hunters harvested 300 bears (12%). Sucess rates remain fairly consistant so instead of having a complicated bear season thats has consistentantly failed to reach quota just extend seasons 2 weeks and set to calendar season. Mirror idaho, they do it right for bear management!

Yes in some cases…
So I would argue that the bear guota the southern 1/2 of the state could be raised. Specifically from Baggs to Laramie. I would suggest that we could even create a type 2 tag situation where there quora could be significantly higher for an area with in a set distance of the Colorado border. Colorado has a big bear population issue, there is definitely a noticeable population difference between the bear population along the border and say even 30 miles north.

I have heard others say that bears in H and G are on the rise a well..

I would also argue more for targeted predator removal. Using the data that we have on mule deer identifying the prime fawning areas and having a targeted control to kill bears and lions in those fawning areas can make a big difference on fawn survival early!!

Didn’t get a chance to listen but had the privilege of driving through Baggs from I80 downward this week since the highways are pretty bare at this point. I’ve never seen as many dead bodies of animals in my life.

I saw two cow elk piled on top of each other as of a snow plow intentionally pushed them that way. I counted 13 dead animals within 1/4 mile between Baggs and Craig. These animals also did not perish from ravens or crows yet. It’s almost as if they just thawed from a permafrost and are ready for you to quarter right now. I counted 3 other cows that got tangled in a fence and perished with their leg trapped.

I’m driving through Dinosaur to Craig tomorrow. Sincerely considering changing my route so I don’t have to see that again. I fear that G&F, although doing the right thing, may not be enough.
Going to Dinosaur it might be a lot better. CDOT has been picking up the dead animals with the loader and dump trucks. They picked up 108 animals in 14 miles the other day.

Looks like wyoga is going to get its way. 3 elk regions proposed and removal of the cap. The western region is going to be harder to draw for nr hunters then the general tag currently is

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back