Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado units 4 or 12

Rooster52

I plan on applying for unit 4 first choice and unit 12 second choice,just got to decide between muzzleloader or first rifle season.

Anyone else plan on hunting either of these units this year ?Probably the two most popular units for elk in the state ,but popular for a reason.

Not those units.I think muzzleloader hunt takes 8pts if I remember correct;NR.Ton of elk in there but is the quality worth that many points???
if your a resident then it may be well worth it cause I don't know the points it takes then

You are right,takes points for muzzleloader where first rifle you can draw with 0 points.

I probably will archery hunt cow elk in unit 7 Wyoming then drop down for first rifle season in Colorado'

Do you live close by to those units?I thought there was like a 2 week window between archery ending in Wy and 1st rifle Co.But, I'm not sure about either units in Co your asking about as to when they open;may be earlier
I'm trying to schedule a 1st season rifle in 501 with a unit 89 deer tag in Wy.I may not have to worry about the deer hunt depending on how many apply but if odds go as last season I will get one.Then if I don't draw, I wasted a chance at a good deer hunt in Co. for this year.These decsions are making my head spin.I live too far away to take chances at drawing all these tags though it would be a good problem to have
Just a heads up to check the dates,sorry for the rmbling,lol

I applied for antelope in Wyoming that I can hunt for a couple days in between and this year with your Colorado elk license you get a fishing license,may try some fishing.
Long time before I see what I draw.

That's a heck of a trip;have fun!!!and good luck to you.I think you'd do really well in unit 12

Being retired ,I have the time and plan on enjoying the trip.Getting back home to Michigan for some whitetail hunting.
Just living the dream !!

First rifle on the flat tops could very well mean some snow.But, I hope you get your 50-60*.I would prefer some snow on my rifle elk hunt just not the worries of getting my truck stuck back in there

Hunting/fishing licenses

I understand Colorado has tacked on another 30 dollar license for fishing, to be able to hunt in the state. Some one doesn't want you to become bored if the hunting is slow. This may be for non resident people only.. Like I would use my hunting time, with all the costs, to go fishing.

I have never run into much snow in unit 12 in first rifle season/lots of hunters but not much snow.maybe enough to make the ground white but gone that afternoon.

last year, first rifle, in GMU 12, we had over 24" fall during the five day season. Bulls and some cows were still around, but most of the elk were headed down from what we could tell

Rooster...what dates are you planning on hunting lopes? Rifle season? I'll be up in Wyoming with another Hunt Talker and his dad 21st-28th of September since we should get drawn atleast second or third choices...how about an adult frothy beverage around the campfire?

My plan is to be there around 1st of Sept for archery elk and deer and staying around to antelope hunt around the 25th with my rifle. Then drop down to Colorado for first elk season.This may change as time gets closer.I may stay and rifle hunt deer and elk also.It depends on what and where I draw. That's the great thing of being retired,the bad thing is you get old.

Just living the dream.

Last edited:
I decided to apply for muzzleloader cow elk in unit 4 first choice,unit 12 second choice. Will be in Wyoming unit 7 for archery cow hunt then drop down to Colorado if I draw for muzzleloader season ,then back to Wyoming for antelope,if I draw.
going to send my application in the first part of next week for Colorado ;I don't like waiting till the last minute .

Back