Colorado unit 61 again

sundance

A week from this Saturday I will be doing the unthinkable, hunting this unit for the second time in seven years. Yes it's possible. Resident archery 6 years ago with 14 points, hybrid muzzleloader draw this year with 6 points, is how crazy things happen. Excited? Yes. But at 62, it will be my last rodeo in this super elk unit. So, yes, some remorse. Harvested a 330 bull with the stick thrower, setting sights on a 360 plus with smokepole. I know this unit fairly well,, and oh to well do I know the abundance of 300 bulls, but would welcome any advice from anyone who has hunted this unit and came across a pig , or two.

Never hunted that unit. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy this spectacular time of year.

Good luck. Near as I can tell, the elk are over the plateau rather than following any elevation/date rules. I'll be up there trying to fill my rifle bear tag. Scouted once in August...lots of cattle up high.

final thoughts

Quite a September. My son probably had the first archery kill in Colorado as this bull steamrolled us right before sunrise on the first morning. Right place at the right time and with two bugles ringing in his ears from me, he came in so fast on my son that we both were in shock for ten minutes afterwards. He green scored 316. My 61 bull was a challenge. Most the bulls go the other way from you when calling and finding a 340 plus bull is hard. He interrupted our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the last Saturday, so with a wadded up bite in my cheek, which i almost spit out when i had to do a real real mouth call since he came in so fast and my diaphram was on the log. Afterwards, our little aspen log lunch spot looked like a war zone. Packs, bugles, food, water scattered everywhere. By 11 pm we had him packed out 3 miles to the pickup, in one load. Yes, do your homework on meat packs. We did and it payed. Who would of thought that my sons public land OTC hunt would be easier than my muzzle 61 draw hunt. that is why we do what we do....you never know.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 20170827_091236.jpg
    20170827_091236.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:
My son has a Eblerstock Blue Widow and I have an old Dana K2. The Eblerstock on my 36 year old sons back probably had 100 lbs of meat, and on my 62 year young back, i probably had 80 lbs. Was all we wanted and without a good pack it would of been two trips for sure.My son did a ton of research on new packs and the Blue Widow has capabilities to expand it and also add accessories for pack ins. He is very happy with it.

final thoughts

Quite a September. My son probably had the first archery kill in Colorado as this bull steamrolled us right before sunrise on the first morning. Right place at the right time and with two bugles ringing in his ears from me, he came in so fast on my son that we both were in shock for ten minutes afterwards. He green scored 316. My 61 bull was a challenge. Most the bulls go the other way from you when calling and finding a 340 plus bull is hard. He interrupted our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the last Saturday, so with a wadded up bite in my cheek, which i almost spit out when i had to do a real real mouth call since he came in so fast and my diaphram was on the log. Afterwards, our little aspen log lunch spot looked like a war zone. Packs, bugles, food, water scattered everywhere. By 11 pm we had him packed out 3 miles to the pickup, in one load. Yes, do your homework on meat packs. We did and it payed. Who would of thought that my sons public land OTC hunt would be easier than my muzzle 61 draw hunt. that is why we do what we do....you never know.
Beautiful bulls Ill be hunting 61 archery this year, I cannot wait!!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back