Colorado unit 61 early rifle

Elkhunter0626

My father in law finally decided to cash in on his elk points. He has been trying for 201 for 23 years but keeps getting burned by point creep. He wanted to use his points on a good quality hunt before he got too old to do so. He was lucky enough to draw unit 61 early rifle season this year. I have been doing a lot of research and e-scouting on the unit in anticipation of him drawing and now plan to start making trips next month to get a good lay of the land and start doing some scouting. I want to do all I can to help him out as he deserves to have a great hunt and I want to make the most of it for him. Was hoping anyone can help me out with good places to start scouting with boots on the ground or even some good places to camp out there. I know people are weary of sharing secrets but hoping since this is a 20 point tag people will be more willing to help me out but I obviously understand that’s a touchy subject sometimes. I appreciate any tips or tricks I can get.

N38° 29.809' W108° 36.689' Good luck. Big unit requiring a lot of physical effort scouting, hunting, and packing.

N38° 29.809' W108° 36.689' Good luck. Big unit requiring a lot of physical effort scouting, hunting, and packing.
Thanks looks like a great spot to find some elk. Definitely not afraid of the hard work and have done it plenty in other units just not so familiar with this unit. Only been there once but plan on taking 10+ trips this summer.

Following.

I may be following in your FIL's footsteps. I'm getting very tired of the continuous point creep in the NW corner. :(

Following.

I may be following in your FIL's footsteps. I'm getting very tired of the continuous point creep in the NW corner. :(
Yep it’s a huge bummer. From what I’ve found out before having him apply to 61 it’s more of a quality hunt unit than quality bull unit. More chance to see a lot of bulls than a lot of big bulls but the big bulls can still be found. Hoping to just give him a great experience and a good quality bull. If you decide to do it definitely reach out I would love to help share what we learn out there.

Yep it’s a huge bummer. From what I’ve found out before having him apply to 61 it’s more of a quality hunt unit than quality bull unit. More chance to see a lot of bulls than a lot of big bulls but the big bulls can still be found. Hoping to just give him a great experience and a good quality bull. If you decide to do it definitely reach out I would love to help share what we learn out there.
Thank you for the offer. I appreciate it. If I can ask...I'm curious what your FIL's age is?

He is 68. But I will say for 68 he is in very good shape and still pretty mobile. Has some limitations due to a broken femur way back when but still moves around well.
Okay, I might be in the same age range when I decide to burn my points. With similar mobility issues. It's a bitch getting old! :giggle:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back