Colorado Shed Hunting Question

kenton

Im going to be in Colorado the third week of May for my honeymoon and I think Im going to get a day to just roam around (she will be shopping). Can anyone point me in the right direction to do a shed hunt in the keystone area. I know its kind of late in the season but I think Im going to need to get out in the wild for a day. Thanks in advance.

I don't know of anything in the area, but jump on CPW's Hunting Atlas online and find some public land in proximity of some nearby elk wintering area. Go for a hike, maybe you'll get lucky. You can display both elk and mule deer summer, winter, year-round ranges on the map.

May isn't too late.. I was picking up nice sheds over memorial day last year.

Don't do it dude !!!! :eek: Bad idea. Bad, Bad, Bad idea.

This is a man speaking from experience. I too, blindly mistook " a day on our own" during the Honeymoon, as simply meaning just that. WRONG

We were in Hawaii and staying at a cottage owned by one of my chat friends, on another Forum. His & my wife came up with that same bright idea. They would do a day of shopping/ girl time and Cal and I could fend for ourselves.

Well, we're a couple of hunters, right? A day away, right? What the hell did they think we were going t do ? Off on a puddle jump to Lanai for a short day of Axis deer hunting. Got back about 1/2 hr before the girls, at the end of the day, with two OK bucks in the coolers.

No Prob, Right ?

WRONG, WRONG, FREAKIN' WRONG !!!!!

I never heard the end of that one for the next 15 yrs.

"The only reason you took me to Hawaii was to go hunting with Cal"
"You abandoned me with a strangers wife to go hunting with your buddy"
"I want that deer mount out of my house, it's disgusting"

and on it went of 15 years.

Just don't do it man, better to go to a strip club, get drunk, a lap dance (or 5) and face that music. At least you'll be fighting about another woman and she'll most likely never bring up your hunting trips when there is something juicer for her to fight about !

Don't do it

Don't do it dude !!!! :eek: Bad idea. Bad, Bad, Bad idea.

This is a man speaking from experience. I too, blindly mistook " a day on our own" during the Honeymoon, as simply meaning just that. WRONG

We were in Hawaii and staying at a cottage owned by one of my chat friends, on another Forum. His & my wife came up with that same bright idea. They would do a day of shopping/ girl time and Cal and I could fend for ourselves.

Well, we're a couple of hunters, right? A day away, right? What the hell did they think we were going t do ? Off on a puddle jump to Lanai for a short day of Axis deer hunting. Got back about 1/2 hr before the girls, at the end of the day, with two OK bucks in the coolers.

No Prob, Right ?

WRONG, WRONG, FREAKIN' WRONG !!!!!

I never heard the end of that one for the next 15 yrs.

"The only reason you took me to Hawaii was to go hunting with Cal"
"You abandoned me with a strangers wife to go hunting with your buddy"
"I want that deer mount out of my house, it's disgusting"

and on it went of 15 years.

Just don't do it man, better to go to a strip club, get drunk, a lap dance (or 5) and face that music. At least you'll be fighting about another woman and she'll most likely never bring up your hunting trips when there is something juicer for her to fight about !

Last edited:
Bwahahaha Gunner. You didn't know the willey ways of a woman yet. After all you had just married her, how could you. I'll bet that's a lesson you won't soon forget……because she won't let you. Nice of you to pall along your knowledge to another young sucker so that he doesn't learn the hard way. Hilarious!

There's some public land just south of the ski hill at Keystone that's a winter area. I've bumped elk there during the season, and you maybe could --- just maybe -- get away for 1/2 hour since its so close to town.

The spot I'm talking about is at the far east end of town, just before the highway leaves Keystone, and just south from the ski resort (across the highway).

Let me know if you find something. And if Gunner46 is right, and you get in trouble, you're on your own!

Great, now I'm going to be worried about getting in trouble the whole time I'm hiking.

Great, now I'm going to be worried about getting in trouble the whole time I'm hiking.

As well you should be. If you do go, you need to make sure you are back before they are done. I had a similar incident with golfing one time when I was dating my wife. I was out a lot longer than I anticipated and held her and some others up from going out. She was actually very understanding about it…..or at least she acted like she was. I was thinking wow, this girl is every understanding……she's a keeper.
After we were married, she reminded me, more than a few times, about how mad she was about it at the time. I said, wow, you sure were a lot better at hiding your anger before we were married…..and that was a lot more pleasant. Wrong thing to say. haha

I went hunting in Hawaii right after my wedding, its worked out fine so far. Only our friends make a big deal out of the goat I shot on our 'honeymoon'.

Take her with you. No sense in only doing what she wants and you "paying" the consequences.

Here's what we did for our honeymoon. I did let her shoot the bigger ram, however... :D

Attachments

• P1050152.JPG
    P1050152.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 1,323
Take her with you. No sense in only doing what she wants and you "paying" the consequences.

I wish she could, but an old softball injury (and the 3 subsequent surgeries) limits her hiking and she already has a short hike planned that her grandma always took her on when she was young. She did say she was excited to shed hunt this year in our local area but another stint with her foot in a cast put the kibosh on that.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UPWolf
Back