Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado late season

tstouder

I just got back from 2nd rifle season with nada in GMU 15. didn't see any elk and the only does I saw were running away as fast as they could. I've never thought about a late season hunt but have listened to a couple people talk about it lately. I have no idea what it involves or where it occurs or what you would have to do to do it.
Anyone ever do a late season elk hunt and any and all information about it would be appreciated.

IMO, planning on a late season Colorado hunt may well depend on the weather from year to year? Currently in Southern Colorado, with the 3rd season to open in a matter of a few days, we've had typical mild weather. Around freezing at night, but pretty mild, (light jacket) weather in the daytime. Another facet of this, is the shorter days with less time to hunt/day.
That said, in a year when we get copious amounts of snow, this might be a game changer. I guess I think that the Elk have been hunted since around Labor Day, and the areas where they might want to be, or that look like good Elk habitat, is NOT where they will be found. It might depend on your skills in figuring out where Elk will be hiding out, and perhaps a working rabbit's foot in your pocket?

I've done well on 4th and late seasons. Elk are moving on migration routes or out feeding more. Also, since it's cold, no rush to get meat out. I only hunt cows on 4th and late seasons though.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back