Colorado dream (cow) tags

sebstol1

Theres a few Colorado units (1, 2, 201, 61) that take 20+ points for a bull tag but only a few points for a cow tag. Does anyone have experience with the quality of these hunts during 1st or 2nd rifle season?

Last edited:
There good. You'll fill your tag. It's a type a tag though so you'll burn points and not be able to get a bull tag that year, if that matters to you.

Yes that is the question, is it worth it to burn a 3 years points on a 500$ cow tag. Thanks for your response.

It'll be a fun hunt, but won't be a sure thing. I had one of those tags this past year and with the drought a majority of the elk moved to private ground. The remaining herds on public were being harassed pretty hard by cow hunters. My dad and I hunted our tails off and both ate our tags even after getting there 1-1/2 days early to scout. The warden said there were very few elk being killed and confirmed that we were hunting all the right areas. We did have a few chances and stalks blown by other hunters. I wish I could do it over again on a normal year. Chances at bulls were pretty easy to come by. Cows not so much.

Hmm very interesting that you had trouble getting onto cows in those areas. Do you think it would actually be a better strategy to hunt an area with a more normal (25:100ish) bull to cow ratio instead of the dream bull units?

Back