Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cold Weather Hunt Layering

shanny28757

I've never hunted late season with frigid weather. Today I hiked for the first time in super cold weather with a heavy-ish pack. I really just wanted to get some exercise, but also try to plan for potential future hunts in cold weather. I layered in what I thought would be best for the hike with some extra stuff in my pack and headed out. My pack was about 38lbs (weighed down with water bottles) and I hike about 5.5-6 miles on partially groomed trails in 8" of snow, most of which was flat terrain with a couple very small, short hills. A decent workout for sure, but didn't have the vertical element. When I arrived my car said 2F and when I finished it said 7F.

I actually like cold weather so I had a really nice hike, but if I had to hunt for a week in that weather I think I'd be screwed. I left the car with a merino base layer and a half zip mid layer up top and a merino bottom with attack pants. A bit too cold even to start out, so I tossed on my puffy for a few minutes until i got my core temp leveled out then quickly took it off. After that I had no problem with temperature. I got chilled when the wind blew hard, but really very comfortable.

The problem is that even thought i was borderline chilly the whole time, I was still sweating down my back. I don't think I could have changed my layers and still been comfortable hiking. But changed into dry stuff when glassing, I wouldn't be able to get my core temp regulated fast enough before i froze.

How do you guys layer for hiking then hunting in freezing cold weather. Is backpack hunting at these temps even realistic? I could see hiking in and out to a base camp every day where you can afford to pack in lots of extra clothing. But with everything on your back that would be rough.

Sounds like you're on the right track. For me, with a good merino layer like you mentioned, usually it will dry out pretty quick once I stop hiking. Not sweating on your back is tough even if you don't have much on for layers. I usually have just a few layers on for hiking and then bundle up right away once I stop. As for backpack hunting with temps around 0, that's going to be a challenge. I'd say with a lightweight tipi and a stove, you might be able to do it for a few days. If it's that cold though and getting below zero each night, it just makes everything a whole lot tougher. Your water is going to be freezing and it's going to be a challenge to stay warm. Not impossible but also not sure it's worth it.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back