CO Unit 39

stu_manji

I've been doing some research on Unit 39 for mule deer. I've never been on a mule deer hunt, and having already shot a few elk (I'm an easterner), I started buying CO mule deer points last year. GoHunt.com shows the draw odds as 100% for 1 point. The success rates are highest in the state and it's close to Denver (ease of access). What's the deal? What am I missing? There's a ton of public hunting land in this and surrounding units. It looks beautiful too. Are people referring to this area by some other name on here? I couldn't find any other threads about it.

Thanks for any help!

It’s not a very desirable unit. I don’t think it has much public land. The fact that it is close to Denver makes it bad. I would only hunt that unit if it was my absolute last choice.

The success rates are above 35% for archery....I'm just sayin, if I wanted to fly into Denver and go after some mule deer, it looks like it wouldn't be a terrible option. I guess not from what I'm hearing...

It’s not a very desirable unit. I don’t think it has much public land. The fact that it is close to Denver makes it bad. I would only hunt that unit if it was my absolute last choice.

Is that an offer to send all your waypoints? bahahahahaha :W:

I have friends in Denver, maybe it's time to tell them to start taking pictures when they see animals on their hikes eh? The place must be crawling with hikers and sightseers, and probably a few anti's

But where do the deer _live_ in unit 39? :)

There is some public land worth hunting, but I would attribute a good bit of the higher than normal success rate to people hunting their own property... or road hunting tame deer. Due to the fact that the unit is so close to the metro area, the amount of day hikers is beyond belief.

Above is correct, there are alot of yard deer and elk killed in this unit hence elevating the success rates. In saying that, there are good deer abI've timberline as well, but those rates would be subdued as those yard bucks (sad really) add up.

....sleepin out all night beneath the desert stars, with a dream in my eye and a prayer in my hearrrrrttttt. shoulda been a cowboy.....

Is this where you were goin with it? :rolleyes:

Haha, that made me laugh. You can get it done in 39, but you'll look over alot more bucks in the high desert units of the western slope.

A good deal of the public ground in 39 is tough country for what it is. And as others have said landowners skew the numbers.

Colorado success rates are estimates based on samples. They can sometimes be a useful part of research, but can paint a very misleading picture.

Stu,

I am just now seeing this post from last year. Have you received your tag yet for? I will be heading out to hunt the 2nd rifle in 46 with my uncle who lives out there. PM your number to me and we can exchange some info if you would like.

Back