Classic western Lever gun?

Finally some love for the Win model 88. My dad has one in .308 and .243, both are very nice guns. Interestingly, he bought his .308 in the early 60's to replace his Win model 94. I had a Savage model 99 in .308 when I was a teen. Yes, it was ugly. But what does a 16 yr old know about gun aesthetics? It accounted for a handful of whitetails and did it's job.

Classic lever gun? I still have to lean Win 94 in .30-30.

Despite everyone saying the Savage 99's are ugly, I remember my dads model 99 in 264 Win Mag and wish I had that rifle. I've also always had a soft spot for model 94 30-30s.
My dad had 2 when I was growing up, one in .243 and one in .308. Deer season was always over in the first hour. I saw him make some crazy shots with those guns. I've always thought that they're pretty cool rifles

I have a model 88 in 308. It’s my father’s and I’ve early inherited it into my collection. Dad and I have killed animals with it.

It shoots well, holds less than an inch.

The only problem with the gun is its trigger. It’s stiff. I feel like I’m yanking a 12 gauge duck gun everytime I shoot it. I’ve never measured it but I bet the pull is 4 pounds plus. The problem is the unique design of the 88 doesn’t allow the trigger to be adjusted. From what I could find, replacing the trigger doesn’t solve the problem.

I think it really boils down to the 1893 Marlin and the 1894 Winchester.
This is basically what I came in with, glad to hear I wasn't too far off base.
For Neffa, I'd say the 95 Win in either 30-40 Krags or 30 Gov't.

Or quit being a slave to the ammo industrial complex and come to dark side and start reloading then you can shoot really cool cartridges.
While that sounds cool, that's just not the reality I live in. I can't even manage to reload consistently for my 270 and those components couldn't be easier to come by. Maybe someday down the road, but not now.

🖕 you 😉

Personal bias but I’d buy Winchester

That takedown '93 is very tempting..

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back