Caribou Gear

Christmas shopping for Hunt Talk

Hunting Wife

After just reading Big Fin's post about the Amazon banner ads, I started thinking...

I'm struggling to come up with good gift ideas for Hunting Husband this year. What do you get for the outdoors person who has everything (or at least everything I can think of)? I'm betting some of you have some fabulous ideas, so let's hear it - what's on your Christmas wish list? Or have you recently purchased some cool gear that would make a good gift?

Conveniently placed Amazon ads + a forum full of people with good ideas and similar interests = some cash for Hunt Talk + easier Christmas shopping for me!

Here's one for any of you guys looking for gifts for the lady in your life - I've been eyeballing some of the packable down jackets. Something warm, not hugely bulky and available in nice colors. The North Face Aconcagua Jacket is one that looks nice. And yep, you can get it from Amazon.

Obviously gift cards are always awesome! Some things I would like this year is a new vacuum food saver and bags. New knife (think replacement blade style), hand warmers are always cool! A couple new trail cameras, broadheads, new arrows, sight, quiver.

If you think your husband has everything already, does he have items he goes through every year, like game bags? If so maybe a resupply of those? Fishing gear is always fun!

Portable power charger thing for phones, GPS, etc. I want one that can double as a handwarmer.

Instead of stuff, what about taking him somewhere to do something. A hunt or even a trip to a new place to do something we haven't done or at least done there. That'd be my suggestion for my wife.

Yeti mugs/tumblers are great gift ideas in the $20-$30 range.

Also, electric boot dryers are a nice gift. I take mine on hunting and fishing trips.

I got some new socks this year that are very warm and comfortable, brand is Heat Holders.

Instead of stuff, what about taking him somewhere to do something. A hunt or even a trip to a new place to do something we haven't done or at least done there. That'd be my suggestion for my wife.

This. Give him a gas card with the instruction: "For hunting season only." Gas is one of my biggest expenses when hunting. Or give him a gift certificate to be used "for tags."

For gear, I'm looking at some new insulated boots, some better layers and a new GPS and a game cart.

This. Give him a gas card with the instruction: "For hunting season only." Gas is one of my biggest expenses when hunting. Or give him a gift certificate to be used "for tags."

For gear, I'm looking at some new insulated boots, some better layers and a new GPS and a game cart.

Memories will last longer than 99.9% of any material things you can buy him. I bought my son a leftover wyoming tag this season with some birthday money I had received. My wife asked why I hadn't bought something for myself. In truth there is nothing can compare

Anything Smartwool. Great for layering. Also got a pair of trekking poles for the pack in and out of where we hunt. They are an absolute knee and back saver, when packing out a pack full of meat on steep inclines/declines.

I'm a fan of the "for tags only" gift card.

A consideration is DIY meat processing stuff...good knives (Victorinox Boning or Dexter Russell are good quality low price knives), grinder, smoker, sausage stuffer, vacuum sealer. That stuff will last forever and save you money in the long run. A couple years ago I got a Work Sharp knife/tool sharpener and now all my knives can shave if I so choose them to.

What have you heard him complain abt while out hunting or recreating. Feet hurt after a long hike/hunt: Boots. Does he spend a lot of time out in the elements during the winter months? Any type of quality head gear/balcalava gloves coat,etc. I'm talking the extra fluffy/insulated quality type stuff most guys won't spend the money on that is specific to what your are doing. One year I gave gloves to several people. The skiers got the top of the line specific to their sport, etc.
Since you are in the north, darkness comes early. I always want to have a flashlight on me in the winter, easy to attach, bright, can take a beating, again, quality. Is he into tools?
Everyone looks for that extra special gift, but i have learned that a lot of times the quality everyday items that get used are most appreciated. Someone gave me some great winter wear, I think of them every time I wore it.
Send him to a shooting school, off road driving school, on track car racing school, or one of those where you get to drive a number high end sports cars for a day if he's a car guy. Something out of his normal comfort zone will leave great memories - as one guy mentioned above.
Good luck

He may already be covered in the hunting clothes department, but I really like having 2 or 3 of the merino wool base layer hoodies. I was surprised how much difference that light-weight thin hood made when things got cold.

Wool baselayers if he doesn't have them. Light and mid weight, tops and bottoms. They are expensive enough a lot of guys won't spend the money but they are worth every penny. Lots of options on ebay, smart wool and core 4 are both on there I think.

How about a win win idea? Get yourself some camo lingerie and go to a photographer and have some of those sexy boudoir photos taken to give to him? Then you get something for yourself, and he get pics to take with him on hunting trips to remember what he's coming home to (and he might not spend so much time away). He can buy his own base layers and socks and stuff like that on his own.

Last edited:
Cushman.

You have got to be a fun man to be around! I like your suggestion, but would have never made myself.

Club or organization dues...renew his NRA/RMEF/etc memberships for him...even better get him life memberships.

How about a win win idea? Get yourself some camo lingerie and go to a photographer and have some of those sexy boudoir photos taken to give to him? Then you get something for yourself, and he get pics to take with him on hunting trips to remember what he's coming home to (and he might not spend so much time away). He can buy his own base layers and socks and stuff like that on his own.

Does it have to be pink camo? Because that's a deal breaker for me....:)

I like Cush's idea.

I asked my wife for a Works Sharp Ken Onion knife sharpener.

dairyqueen-2.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back