NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Choosing a Hunting Unit

BigRack

Banned
How do you guys usually go about choosing a hunting unit in a State you have never hunted in?

Do you go by tags given out, harvest rates, public land access, google, etc.

I'm looking at Wyoming, and their maps showing public land are not very good on their website.

Depends on what I am looking for, opportunity or quality as measured by few hunters/mature animals. Draw odds published by the states usually show the good places to start.

Units with good quality and lots of public land will have higher demand. From there, decide if you want to roll the dice on the glory units that might take 25 years to draw, or lower the standards and accept a little more difficulty in navigating private/public boundaries, yet get to hunt ever 2 or 3 years.

Thanks Randy,

I'll have to check out the draw odds. I have never hunted Elk so the leftover over cow tag in Wyoming caught my eye just to get my feet wet and of course feed my family.

How do you guys usually go about choosing a hunting unit in a State you have never hunted in?

Do you go by tags given out, harvest rates, public land access, google, etc.

I'm looking at Wyoming, and their maps showing public land are not very good on their website.

Not specific to elk, but I look for public land with access.

This site can give you a good idea for access. BLM 100k maps stitched together and a little spendy. Probably worth the dollars if you draw and view maps are good to make a plan.

http://www.mytopo.com/products/hunt-area-maps.cfm

I have some other links, but not on this computer.

Not specific to elk, but I look for public land with access.

This site can give you a good idea for access. BLM 100k maps stitched together and a little spendy. Probably worth the dollars if you draw and view maps are good to make a plan.

http://www.mytopo.com/products/hunt-area-maps.cfm

I have some other links, but not on this computer.

Thanks for the link. I found some general maps at BLM. I'm used to using the below map and wish Wyoming had something like it.

http://gfp.sd.gov/images/WebMaps/Viewer/WILMA/

I think I have ruled out shooting a cow at the feed grounds. If I'm going to drive that far I want to hunt, not just kill.

For me it's based on previous experiences that I've had hunting an area before, or people I know who live in that area. If neither one of those apply, then it's the unit with the most trophy potential that I choose.

Online research plays a roll too.

I look at drawing odds, harvest statistics, bull:cow ratios, and hunter numbers. And then study maps and mapping software. The CPW website is useful in locating winter range and travel routes, not familiar if Wyoming has something. The MT cadastal website is great for showing public lands and access points. But nothing beats on the ground scouting.

If I have learned one thing from Randy it's that the Elk love private land when you are hunting them.:(

I don't want to spend a lot of money and glass elk on private land.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back