Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

CDS custom dials at different elevations

Mako

Hello. I'm wanting to order CDS dials for my two Leupold scopes, but have a little bit if a dilemma. The closest outdoor range to me with a long distance rifle range where I zero my scopes is at about 1500ft elevation. The places where I will be hunting deer are from 2500 to 5000ft elevation. How much will this affect my bullet drop? I've been putting off getting the CDS dials because I feel like they won't be accurate for me based on where I hunt due to the elevation of where I set up and test my rifles.

Last edited:
That depends on how far you plan on shooting. Under 400 or so it won’t matter much to be noticed hunting. Just split the difference on elevation for the dial. If you talk to the Leupold Techs who make the dials they are generally made in elevation brackets 0-2500, 2500-4000, 4000..... and so on.

If your shooting more than 400 just stick with the MOA turret it comes with and buy the Streylok Pro app and then go verify your data card.

Last edited:
Get a simple and free ballistic calculator app on your phone and then you can check for yourself. Just to give you an idea at 500yds my 260Rem pushing .510 G1 BC drops just over 2” more at 1500’ than at 5000’.....so out to 500yds and in there is little to worry about.

In talking with a guy that markets CDS type dials for his own scopes, he stated that until you get way out there that a dial is good for about a 5000' elevation change. So, if you set yours at 2500'; it'd be good from sea level to 5000'.

To avoid all of that, use a MOA CDS. Once you have your drops figured accurately, at any elevation, just re-run the numbers for the new elevation. Would also allow for more fliexibility in changing bullets or loads.

Also figure out temperatures at which you sight in. I have the same issue. Here in NC it might only be 800 ft above see level and 70F. Where I hunt is 8000 feet but likely much cooler so its basically a wash, at least at the distance I would shoot at game

Last edited:
In talking with a guy that markets CDS type dials for his own scopes, he stated that until you get way out there that a dial is good for about a 5000' elevation change. So, if you set yours at 2500'; it'd be good from sea level to 5000'.

To avoid all of that, use a MOA CDS. Once you have your drops figured accurately, at any elevation, just re-run the numbers for the new elevation. Would also allow for more fliexibility in changing bullets or loads.
+1
g.png

f.png

Sweet. That said, while I may order the new dials, I will probably stick with the MOA dials that came on the scopes. Between my range finder and DOPE cards, I think I’m GTG.

Just understand air densities based on your elevation and aim under or over based on your elevation. Like mentioned above, talk to the leupold guys. Are you only going to hunt out of state and not at 1500'?

Just understand air densities based on your elevation and aim under or over based on your elevation. Like mentioned above, talk to the leupold guys. Are you only going to hunt out of state and not at 1500'?

I did some double checking today. The rifle range is at 1500 Feet. The area where I will be hunting is between 1800 and 5000 feet above sea level. I think I will be good. I did some calculations at various altitudes with my load using Hornady’s ballistic calculator. The differences In bullet drop are pretty negligible out to 6 or 700 yards. I plan to keep my shots within 500 yards, so I think I am set.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back