Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Carbonsix barrels

nhenry

Hello all,

Are Carbonsix barrels anything to write home about?

I've looked on other forums for information but everything seems a little outdated.

Anything y'all can tell me is appreciated.

I will let you know in March - I have one on order.

In the meantime, I will be watching this thread with a heavy confirmation bias, looking for folks to validate my decision to buy from them ;).
I hope to hear some good words about them -- I'm looking with a lusting eye at their featherweight contour in a 280 Ackley.

The carbon barrel craze is incredible nowadays. Carbonsix uses McGowen barrel blanks and seems most shoot decent. They claim 1/2MOA with proper reloading.
One factor many people overlook is more important than the barrel is the gunsmith and their skills and quality of chamber produced.

The carbon barrel craze is incredible nowadays. Carbonsix uses McGowen barrel blanks and seems most shoot decent. They claim 1/2MOA with proper reloading.
One factor many people overlook is more important than the barrel is the gunsmith and their skills and quality of chamber produced.
I'd be getting a tikka prefit if I were to go that route. I've had pretty good luck with them

I ordered a savage prefit from them in February this year. After having carbon supplier issues they were able to get it done and shipped to me in September and included a letter of apology for taking so long. This is my first barrel swap so I wouldnt call myself an expert but so far its been 2 for 3 on deer this year.

I really don't see a benefit to Carbon barrels on a hunting rifle. Is there any? mtmuley

Not sold on the stiffness arguement. I understand the weight thing, but not really concerned. If cost is of no concern, no problem. If I did go carbon, Proof is right up the road. In my small mind the benefits aren't there. mtmuley

I don't have direct experience with Carbonsix, but McGowen makes a good barrel and I believe that's the blank used by Carbonsix. I've got a couple of Proof's in carbon and really like those. I'd bet the Carbonsix barrels will be good shooters.

Weight to barrel stiffness there is a advantage
There isn’t even much weight savings especially if talking a hunting rifle with a SS fluted barrel in say #4 contour.
The suppressor aspect is probably the most logical.

Carbon barrel is stiffer and won’t walk as much when barrel warms up as steel barrel of same weight. I’m currently building a lightweight short carbon barreled rifle to be suppressed. Using an xcaliber from their 20% off thanksgiving sale. To get an all steel barrel with enough meat to thread for suppressor I’d have to go with a heavier contour than I want to for a lightweight build. If manufacturer weights are on it should be 8lbs scoped and suppressed

What advantage? mtmuley
Before I get off your lawn ;) . . . I view it as a niche tool. Never had a need until my current 7x57AI short light suppressed "do all" rifle project. The diameter to weight to stiffness ratios made it the only viable choice with my other requirements. But I don't expect to it shoot any better than my many other traditional barrels. And there is nothing about this project that is "needed". Heck, a single $249 Savage Axis in .308 with a $99 Nikon scope shooting green box gas station ammo would have successfully taken every large mammal I have ever shot, but I like variety, trying new things, and having rifles optimized (and hand loads) for niche situations. For me it's a little part of the overall fun of the sport.

Said they shoot good just have to be a little slower chambering them or will start to chatter. Said “loads on the cutting edge of the reamer. Speed it up to175rpm and use more oil and cut .050 instead of .1”
I am having CarbonSix do the 7x57AI reaming and threading so I will assume they know this about their own barrels.

[but I would love to have a lathe a do my own - but that will have to wait for retirement.]

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back