NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Can't Wait!

P1042006.jpgThe roads were awesome! exactly what everyone said.....sure glad we had chains for all four tires. Once we got to the gated roads, this is how we got back in there...

saw a few of these....even some fresh ones. sure gets you pumped up thinking that any moment you could glass up or bump into one of those big jicarilla bucks!P1042003.jpg

did i mention it was cold? I'm pretty sure it didn't break 0 F the whole week. Learned a lot about #2 diesel and how important aditives are! Also, lighting a fire under the fuel tank IS NOT a good way to "un-gel" your fuel filter! P1062018.jpg

about these famous 2B bucks now...we did see a few shooters (170+) and I even drew on one, but didn't have a clear shot as he stood there and looked at me a 40 yds. got a good stalk on another 170 class buck but a hot doe screwed that one up for me...yeah, hot doe....kinda weird but they were definately still rutting down there.

towards the end of the hunt, we started to figure out where the bucks were. They were in those places that big bucks tend to be in, places that were almost impossible to glass and equally difficult to stalk. They preferred the edge of the mesa's, on top, where the junipers gave way to the rimrock below. On the last day of the hunt, we (my hunting buddy) stumbled into giant. One that makes the unit famous! But, the quick sighting in the rimrock and junipers only burned an image in his mind as he bounded off the cliffs and into the thick timber.

it was a fun hunt. one arrow was released by my buddy, but as the string dropped so did the buck and the arrow flew cleanly over his back. although none of us brought home a buck, it was a fun hunt with good guys. And, when I draw the tag again, I know right where I'll be hunting! On the REZ!!....just kidding.

P1052008.jpg

Looks like some good times. It's nice to live vicariously through someone who's hunting some big game. All I've got to do these days is chase bunnies.

seriously though...if any of you guys draw this tag, give me a shout. It took us about the length of the hunt to really figure out what was going on and where the bucks were. I'd be happy to share what I learned!

Great pictures, and hunt report! I was hoping to see a picture of one of them big bucks on the ground, but at least you had a good time. No wonder I was freezing my fingers while glassing, it was Nodak cold out there! Might try to go back up again, sent you a pm.

Cool pics and great story. Sounds pretty high on the adventure meter, even if no tags were filled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back