Caliber Battle

I'd really love to have a discussions about what good velocity and energy numbers should be rather than the actual caliber.

I appreciated the "1800 ft.lbs for good bullet expansion" comment in the article. I think if we focused on getting there on caliber selection it could be a little more civil.

A commonly accepted threshold for the minimum amount of kinetic energy needed to kill an elk is 1500 ft-lbs. For whitetail deer, the minimum amount of kinetic energy is 1000 ft-lbs.
This is also "my" unwritten rule at the point of impact. In addition, the minimum velocity of the bullet to effectively expand.

Last edited:
Ft/lbs or fps?

Many bullet manufacturers list 1800 ft/sec as the lower threshold for bullet expansion.

I don’t pay attention to ft/lbs, I’ve seen too many examples of animals ignoring energy.

P

I think the 280 rem is about as good of a cartridge as there is. Does almost everything the 7 mag does but with less recoil. The 06 is just a "hey that can kill anything" gun. Dont get me wrong it's not bad but I will take a 284 cal over a 30 cal. It's harder for me to go grab the 308 or the 06 over the 280 rem on any given day.

Thread revival! After reading through six pages of wisdom, I’m still feeling like I need a 270win. I defy any of you to talk me out of a 270win. My application would be elk, deer. I want to replace my ‘06 as it’s not that fun to shoot and I’d rather have a flat shooter with a self-imposed 300 yard limit. I don’t flinch, but I’d rather not move up to a belted magnum beast as I’d avoid the range. I want to operate on a MPBR with confidence. I think the 270win could lengthen that range a bit more with less recoil.

Late to this discussion and a fun one it is! My first rifle was a 30-06 so I am a bit partial to it. More sentimental love than a scientific approach. I have been considering a 7mm RM but find my 7mm-08 does everything I need in the .284 size.

Great discussion and yes I bought a 6.5 CM but it is for my step-daughter, honestly it is for her to shoot. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back