Yeti GOBOX Collection

Caliber Battle

This all leads me to ask another question of the HT Hive-mind: Does anyone else have a sentimental/emotional reason they shoot the cartridge they shoot? I certainly do.
No. I inherited a pile of cheap worthless guns from my grandfather, and after a decade of misses and mechanical failures I bought a real gun and have used it ever since.

The same frugality that led him to buy the cheapest jeans he could find or to made tools instead of buying them, did not lend itself to guns and killing critters.

Last edited:
This all leads me to ask another question of the HT Hive-mind: Does anyone else have a sentimental/emotional reason they shoot the cartridge they shoot? I certainly do.
This is a fun question.
While I have emotional attachments to many (most) of my rifles, I’ve rarely thought about why.
I almost always lead people to a 308 as a first rifle. I assume now that it’s that the 1st rifle that was “my own” was a Christmas gift from my dad when I was 15. Model 700 Mountain Rifle, in 308.
I have many Guns that are much more beautiful, much more valuable, and more “Iconic”. None of them mean more to me.

Some young hottie came to me in a dream and said that if I had a 65 Creedmoor then all the young hotties would be knocking down my door. So I bought one. So far it’s kept them from knocking down my door. 🤣

Some young hottie came to me in a dream and said that if I had a 65 Creedmoor then all the young hotties would be knocking down my door. So I bought one. So far it’s kept them from knocking down my door. 🤣
Beware the young fellow with the neatly trimmed beard, flatty and smiles warmly when he calls you brah.

I've killed enough animals with both, that I will chose the 7mm every time for every application over the 06. They may be peas in a pod, but the 06 does nothing better than the 7mm but the 7 mag does everything better. We can argue about "heavier bullets" all you want, but no one hunts with 200 or 220gr bullets in an 06. The only place a 06 has the mag beat is magazine capacity (because its usually needed).🎣
The 7 mag takes a bunch more powder to best the '06. We don't need no stinking belt.

The .30-'06 was the most overrated hunting cartridge until it was dethroned by the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Still, for the type of hunting I do, I'd rather have a .30-'06, but I know a few 7mm owners who won't shoot anything else.
I'd agree for most of what it's used for.. For deer and antelope I would say that it's overkill. Bear, Elk and Moose yeah I can see having one but in reality mostly it's a rifle used for deer more than anything else..

This is a fun question.
While I have emotional attachments to many (most) of my rifles, I’ve rarely thought about why.
I almost always lead people to a 308 as a first rifle. I assume now that it’s that the 1st rifle that was “my own” was a Christmas gift from my dad when I was 15. Model 700 Mountain Rifle, in 308.
I have many Guns that are much more beautiful, much more valuable, and more “Iconic”. None of them mean more to me.
I only have one gun I’d never sell for any amount of money. My 870 wingmaster, my 13th birthday present from my dad. Doesn’t make it to the field as much with the addition of my 16 gauge, but I make sure to take it out of the stable a few times a year.

I only have one gun I’d never sell for any amount of money. My 870 wingmaster, my 13th birthday present from my dad. Doesn’t make it to the field as much with the addition of my 16 gauge, but I make sure to take it out of the stable a few times a year.
Right? I’ve got a plain bbl (no-rib) 20ga, fixed choke Wingmaster Dad gave me too.
I’ve not shot it since Bush was President... The 1st Bush.

It’s not for sale.

The 870's are great shotguns. Have one myself that won't go anywhere. I do however have a Mossberg 500 that I bought new in 1988 when I was living in Nevada for a time. Bought it at a Coast to Coast store in Carson City. Killed a bunch of geese, ducks, chukar and quail with the thing. Clunky, ugly and noisy to carry. I bet it would cycle if it was full of mud. Special gun to me. Thanks cubslayer for adding life to this thread. It happens here. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back