PEAX Equipment

Bundy next chapter

Plenty of whackadoodle on both sides. This is American politics, after all. I was just pointing out that if you are a gun owner/hunter who appreciates public lands, it kind of puts you in the middle (or a little on both sides).

QQ
I ain’t much of a fisherman, but I do believe this qualifies as bait. Quinton, you and all your fish can piss off.

As a broad generalization, hunters tend to align with the conservative/Republican/right-wing in American politics. Anti-hunters tend to be those bleeding heart liberal/Democrat/left-wing whackadoodles. Yes, it's a broad generalization, but everybody knows what I'm saying. The thing is that the broader conservative/right-wing/constitutional faction (ie, the Bundy's and their type) is anti-public land, so on this one issue hunters tend to split with the right-wingers.
I refuse to accept this narrative. I think if you poled licensed hunters there would be more nuance than that.

I refuse to accept this narrative. I think if you poled licensed hunters there would be more nuance than that.

I recognize that there's more nuance than that. That's why I explicitly acknowledged that I was making "broad generalizations" and used the word "tend" three times in the passage you quoted. I was talking about a general pattern that explained why Randy didn't hear a lot of people opposing the refuge takeover on various hunting platforms. I was not on this forum when the refuge takeover happened, but where I was on another hunting forum, a lot of posts were strongly pro-Bundy.

To illustrate it another way: Which will get me more likes on this board, a pro-Trump post or a pro-Biden post?

QQ

I recognize that there's more nuance than that. That's why I explicitly acknowledged that I was making "broad generalizations" and used the word "tend" three times in the passage you quoted. I was talking about a general pattern that explained why Randy didn't hear a lot of people opposing the refuge takeover on various hunting platforms. I was not on this forum when the refuge takeover happened, but where I was on another hunting forum, a lot of posts were strongly pro-Bundy.

To illustrate it another way: Which will get me more likes on this board, a pro-Trump post or a pro-Biden post?

QQ
I recognize you tried to preface the comment. But the longer we keep reinforcing the same false narrative the more life we give it and the further we are from solving any difficult issue.

and on the last question. It's a tossup, good comments are appreciated by all.

I recognize you tried to preface the comment. But the longer we keep reinforcing the same false narrative the more life we give it and the further we are from solving any difficult issue.

and on the last question. It's a tossup, good comments are appreciated by all.

Is it a false narrative, or do we just wish that it wasn’t true?

I really have trouble seeing how it is anything other than an indisputable fact that most hunters lean right, while nearly all anti hunting/animal rights activities comes from the left.

The right is indirectly anti hunting when they try to stop access to the Crazy Mountains or fight against conservation easements etc, but the direct, hunting ban, ballot initiative, anti wildlife management, anti-ESA, anti-hunting activism is nearly entirely leftist. Just the way it is.

Is it a false narrative, or do we just wish that it wasn’t true?

I really have trouble seeing how it is anything other than an indisputable fact that most hunters lean right, while nearly all anti hunting/animal rights activities comes from the left.

The right is indirectly anti hunting when they try to stop access to the Crazy Mountains or fight against conservation easements etc, but the direct, hunting ban, ballot initiative, anti wildlife management, anti-ESA, anti-hunting activism is nearly entirely leftist. Just the way it is.
It is 100% a false narrative. It is not black and white; it is not us vs them. The longer we keep thinking people who lean left are anti hunting and people who lean right hate the environment the deeper down the spiral we'll slide. If hunt talk has provided this community with anything other than some cheerleading to try new hunts in new places, it's that many MANY people of vastly different political leanings all care very deeply about the health and welfare of wildlife in the country.

I won't pretend to be a lawyer, but after the mistrial why wasn't the prosecution allowed a retrial?

I mean, isn't that the way it normally works?
Double jeopardy. The prosecution doesn't get the chance to keep throwing wild pitches. Hit the batter once and he walks. Fair enough I guess.

an indisputable fact that most hunters lean right
As an aside, this is largely based on geography. In WA I've found this not to be true. As president of one of the larger local Sporting clubs in our area, I can assure you our board is split rather evenly. On the west side it leans very hard to the left.

I have no use for the crackpot Bundys or their self serving Mormon sagebrush rebellion ilk (see the thread on what's happening in Utah if you don't think the Mormons are involved in the threat to our public lands). And to call what happened on that ranch and the wildlife refuge a "protest" is beyond a stretch of the imagination. Last night I watched a special on the Freedom Riders of 1961. Now that was a genuine protest. The "counterprotest" of Alabama state authorities and Klan was not. When guns and steel pipes come into the picture the line is crossed into mob hooliganism.

It is 100% a false narrative. It is not black and white; it is not us vs them. The longer we keep thinking people who lean left are anti hunting and people who lean right hate the environment the deeper down the spiral we'll slide. If hunt talk has provided this community with anything other than some cheerleading to try new hunts in new places, it's that many MANY people of vastly different political leanings all care very deeply about the health and welfare of wildlife in the country.
You are projecting what you wish to be onto what actually exists. Hurray for your optimism, but your optimism and 75 cents will still only get you a cup of coffee. You mentioned that the board of your sporting club has a very hard lean to the left. So are they anti-gun hunters or are they pro-gun liberals? The fact that those words sound so odd together is because they run counter to the pattern we see in the world around us. Yes, I'm sure those people exist, but they are the exception, not some undiscovered widespread majority.

We would be better off if we weren't all so divided as a society, but the reality is that we are pretty divided all over the place. I find myself wishing that an articulate spokesman/statesman will come along and rally people together, but I don't have much hope for the foreseeable future. The dividing forces are stronger than the attracting forces at this point in history; that's the regrettable reality.

As you suggest, hunting can be a force to draw people together. It combines some traditional right-leaning views with some traditional left-leaning views. If people would hunt together, they could probably get over some of their other disagreements. And so we're all here....

QQ

As you suggest, hunting can be a force to draw people together. It combines some traditional right-leaning views with some traditional left-leaning views. If people would hunt together, they could probably get over some of their other disagreements. And so we're all here....
Rule #1: Don’t talk politics at hunt camp.
Rule #2: See rule #1.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back