Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

"English" bird names, "Offensive or Exclusionary" to change.

Sad part is folks likely care more about the names than if any of these birds went extinct.
I doubt it. I doubt you could find more than a handful of people anywhere that know anything about 95% of the people the birds were named after. Let alone care. Birds aren't named after famous people in order to somehow honor them. Birds are named after the person who first discovered them and reported the discovery to whoever it is that somehow has the authority to name birds.

Even the people doing the name change admit it isn't because the names are in any way offensive, but rather that someone, somewhere, sometime, for some reason might object to the person the bird was named after and they don't want to deal with that nonsense.

Yeah! Now if we could just get them damn losers of the civil war to shut up and stop trying to tell us how we should be running our country, maybe we all would be little better off.

That's sarcasm, but it does speak to your point.
It is sarcasm, and satire, but I agree, tell them rednecks that it's stars and stripes, not that pussy-ass naval flag bars and scars or whatever they parade.

It's America. American flag first.

Clearly tracker believes we should remove the traitor flag from state buildings
The Confederate? Absolutely. American flag first, front and God damn center. State next. The rest can go elsewhere, anywhere else, I don't care.
tear down all the statues, and change all the street names.
Of American history? No, I clearly stated such. The civil war, was fought predominantly by Americans, and as such, obviously, is American history, and any stains and gains should remain, but the losers, whiners and freaks should be put in their place.

Quite simple

Keep the discussion to bird names and drop the race baiting bullshit that is going to get this thread locked.

I doubt it. I doubt you could find more than a handful of people anywhere that know anything about 95% of the people the birds were named after. Let alone care. Birds aren't named after famous people in order to somehow honor them. Birds are named after the person who first discovered them and reported the discovery to whoever it is that somehow has the authority to name birds.

Even the people doing the name change admit it isn't because the names are in any way offensive, but rather that someone, somewhere, sometime, for some reason might object to the person the bird was named after and they don't want to deal with that nonsense.

Don’t disagree at all more just pointing out the superficial interest for most on topics like these.

There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today."

This has to be one of the most imbecilic reasons for the organization to change names. Superficially asinine.

I know many of us are involved in "conservation" efforts... So park the b.s. whines of declared dues required to be paid to speak our thoughts on a public forum.

Next up, "Roosevelt" elk?

John Muir founder of the Sierra Club...
Winter Wren, rogolodytes troglodytes muiri
"The first bird named in honor of John Muir, whose life's work of conservation has helped protect the redwood habitat of this wren."

1706993790943.png

Audubon's Shearwater, Puffinus lherminieri
"Audubon’s Shearwater and Audubon’s Oriole honor renowned avian artist John James Audubon"
1706993817647.png

Address misdeeds, if necessary, though do not dispose the good of humankind.

Every booby bird or titmouse I've seen has not been as described.

Can agree to this.
Well that's true, but things like blue and green winged teal are pretty descriptive. Ruffed grouse, white fronted geese, pintail, gray crowned rosy finch, etc etc etc.

Common names that help describe the birds is pretty handy, and smart, imo. Same with plants.

On a humor note... Anyone recall this SNL skit? Had to find it for chits n grins... It's relevant in some way, shape, or feather. :ROFLMAO:

but things like blue and green winged teal are pretty descriptive. Ruffed grouse, white fronted geese, pintail, gray crowned rosy finch, etc etc etc.

Common names that help describe the birds is pretty handy, and smart, imo. Same with plants.

Best response yet. Gets beyond the "debate" and to the meat and potatoes of the topic. And, it's Buzz. No shit talk, berating sarcasm, etc... Feel as though I've entered aTwilight Zone episode. :ROFLMAO:

I think this would be a great use of the common bird name.

Likely not in agreement with some here (surprised? ;) ) though maintain the scientific name tributes, such as, rogolodytes troglodytes muiri (Winter Wren) - named in honor of John Muir for his immense conservation efforts that has kept much of what we we value present.

Well that's true, but things like blue and green winged teal are pretty descriptive. Ruffed grouse, white fronted geese, pintail, gray crowned rosy finch, etc etc etc.

Then there's my favorite, the "Double Breasted Bed Thrasher."

But I'm sure some idiot will probably declare that to be too offensive.

Then there's my favorite, the "Double Breasted Bed Thrasher."

But I'm sure some idiot will probably declare that to be too offensive.
"Red-headed Double-breasted Mattress-Thrasher" or so some claim... Hah!

I followed the rabbit hole to find the scientific name for such only to wander the red light district of the... internet.

During my search I came across this fine "scientific" placard for birds.

1707062821267.png

Back