Caribou Gear Tarp

Bullet mold?

Howie

I usually shoot a PRB in my .50 TC Hawken. Thinking of trying a heavier cast bullet. Any recommendations of a good bullet Mold.
Thanx in advance.

I have had good luck with the T/C Maxi Ball. It's weighs 370 grains, and the top band slightly engraves with the rifling. 80 to 90 grains of 2f Goex works good for me in my rifle. From what I've heard is the T/C Maxi Hunter expands much better on deer. I've shot several White Tail Bucks with the maxi ball and got pass through's each time. One ran about 30 yards and dropped the other was DRT. For elk the maxi ball I believe is better in the penetration dept.

The TC Hawken has 1 in 48 twist. This gun is a kit built in 1973. Not sure of groove depth.
I generally use a .490 ball with .015 patch. 70 gr. 3F. Way accurate at 75 yds.

The T/C has shallower rifling than my Green River Leman. The T/C was developed to shoot both conical and PRB while the Green River has deeper rifling and a slower twist. I think it is 1 in 72 and is a 58 cal. The Green River is designed for PRB.

Please elaborate
twist rate is absolutely fundamental to the type of bullet that can be stabilized. you will have extremely poor performance of a heavy/long bullet in a slow twist muzzleloader regardless of the depth of rifling. Rifling depth may become a factor for undersized(caliber) bullets, certain sabot performance, or patch and ball thicknesses, but if you have the wrong twist, you simply won’t hit the broadside of a barn with the wrong bullet, and if you do, it’ll probably hit sideways (keyhole). This can happen in centerfire rifles too for example keyholing is apparently common with 300+ grain bullets in a typically slow twist 444 marlin (which is optimized for 240 grain bullets or so). And older .260 remingtons that don’t have at least 1:8 twist they may not be very accurate with the best/longest BC bullets (140 grains and up) (in addition to possible shortcomings of magazine length). This is why you always hear about twist rates and almost never hear much about rifling depth for most practical discussions (PRB shooters being somewhat of exception on the rifling depth but of course they too are acutely aware of the desired slow twist rates in their rifles - see Dan O’s earlier post in the thread).

Last edited:
I usually shoot a PRB in my .50 TC Hawken. Thinking of trying a heavier cast bullet. Any recommendations of a good bullet Mold.
Thanx in advance.
Lee R.E.A.L bullet 250 grn. you can order em off track of the wolf for a good price. Make sure you get a good lube and a good shirt starter. They shoot great out of both my TC and CVA hawkens with 1-48 twist the. I like to use a lubed felt over powder wad to help with the gas seal.

Lee R.E.A.L bullet 250 grn. you can order em off track of the wolf for a good price. Make sure you get a good lube and a good shirt starter. They shoot great out of both my TC and CVA hawkens with 1-48 twist the. I like to use a lubed felt over powder wad to help with the gas seal.
Thanx

Back