Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help me figure this out

perma

I think I know what happened but I’ll let the smoke pole experts tell me if I’m right or wrong.

I’m at the gun range shooting around and I had one dud shot. The shot sounded like it misfired. I wait a few minutes and break the action open and find the primer did get punctured. I open the breech and find the bullet is gone but some residual powder is in the breech side of the barrel. I walk down range and find the bullet 10’ from me.

I think there was excess blow by because of how easy the bullet went in (could have probably done it with one finger). I shot two other bullets of the same package and they were within 2” @50 yards scopes. I did run a wet and dry patch between shots. I know it’s not necessary. Wondering if I maybe forgot to dry patch that shot.

CVA optima .50
Thor .50, confirmed with sizing kit, .501 is way too tight
75g of Blackhorn, correct breech plug

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpeg
    IMG_0531.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Both things you pointed out could have lead to the squib.

1. Insufficient seating pressure. This could be from just not seating it firmly enough with the ramrod, or the projectile was too loose and backed off the powder charge before you fired. Blackhorn requires a tight fitting projectile, firm seating pressure, and a hot 209 primer.
2. Flash hole had residual liquid in it, inhibiting ignition.

What are you using for a bullet starter? I shoot .503” in my CVA Optima, .500” would be way too loose in mine, it would probably just fall right down the barrel. I doubt all CVA’s have exactly the same diameter, but interesting. I use a spinjag bullet starter, which lets me start bullets that would otherwise be too tight.

Last edited:
Both things you pointed out could have lead to the squib.

1. Insufficient seating pressure. This could be from just not seating it firmly enough with the ramrod, or the projectile was too loose and backed off the powder charge before you fired. Blackhorn requires a tight fitting projectile, firm seating pressure, and a hot 209 primer.
2. Flash hole had residual liquid in it, inhibiting ignition.

What are you using for a bullet starter? I shoot .503” in my CVA Optima, .500” would be way too loose in mine, it would probably just fall right down the barrel. I doubt all CVA’s have exactly the same diameter, but interesting. I use a spinjag bullet starter, which lets me start bullets that would otherwise be too tight.
1. Now that you mention that, I didn’t do my bounce test. Definitely could be the cause.

2. This makes sense too. Maybe I’ll stop wet patch on 209

I have a cheap TC bullet starter with a jag that preserves the tips of the bullets. I had a .499 Thor and could start it with my thumb. The .500 started fine, lighter than a sabot. The .501 I was really compressing the sleeve. Didn’t seem right to me honestly.

I fit my Thors as tight as I can get them but still have 100% confidence that I can get them started with a fouled barrel in the field. It works for me but I’m sure it’s tighter than most would use. They’re definitely engraving on the sleeve on the way down. With that method, and the rest of my OCD muzzleloading routine, I’m getting 1” or better groups at 100 yards in 4 different muzzleloaders with the 300gr tipped Thors.

I fit my Thors as tight as I can get them but still have 100% confidence that I can get them started with a fouled barrel in the field. It works for me but I’m sure it’s tighter than most would use. They’re definitely engraving on the sleeve on the way down. With that method, and the rest of my OCD muzzleloading routine, I’m getting 1” or better groups at 100 yards in 4 different muzzleloaders with the 300gr tipped Thors.
I do wonder if my bullets are too light too, but I couldn’t really do any tests since my pocket scale wigged out on me. Frustrating. I have 250g for pronghorn

250’s shot almost as accurately for me. They weren’t any flatter trajectory though, so it was giving up sectional density / penetration for nothing in return. I’m sure it recoiled less but I couldn’t tell. Maybe the difference in kicking like a mule and kicking like a horse?

I've had that happen once in the field on a big Ole doe bullet just kinda plopped out. I'm convinced it was caused by moisture in the powder due to field conditions. If it was a loose fitting or un properly seated bullet I wouldn't think there'd be any residual powder left.

So my new strat going to the range next time.

1. I bought bulk charge tubes and a case. I learned that my scale is sensitive to wind. Started blowing on it and it was registering weight. So I will fill up 25 charges in my home before I go.

2. Thors are staying behind for now. Powerbelts and Hornady are going with.

3. I’m short on shotshell primers and muzzleloader primers had a lot of backfire on the case itself. Found a place that hd cheddite in bulk.

4. Dry patches moving forward when using blackhorn. Barrel wasn’t that dirty, looked no different than a shotgun barrel.

Good call weighing charges (not just going off volume measurement) beforehand.

Standard shotgun primers are the way to go. The hotter the better. Federal seem to be the hottest, then Winchester. Cheddite will work well. Muzzleloader-specific 209 primers are a marketing gimmick.

I wouldn't bother swabbing the barrel at all with blackhorn. I've shot 20 times without swabbing or cleaning and saw no change in accuracy, velocity, or loading.

So my new strat going to the range next time.

1. I bought bulk charge tubes and a case. I learned that my scale is sensitive to wind. Started blowing on it and it was registering weight. So I will fill up 25 charges in my home before I go.

2. Thors are staying behind for now. Powerbelts and Hornady are going with.

3. I’m short on shotshell primers and muzzleloader primers had a lot of backfire on the case itself. Found a place that hd cheddite in bulk.

4. Dry patches moving forward when using blackhorn. Barrel wasn’t that dirty, looked no different than a shotgun barrel.
In my experience, you really need magnum primers to consistently set off Blackhorn. Some rifles (CVA Optima comes to mind) require Blackhorn-specific breechplugs. I suspect you encountered a combination of not enough ignition temperature to ignite the powder charge but just enough force from the primer to push a slightly loose projectile down the bore.

I picked up some Cheddite primers, they say they’re magnum charge so we’ll see.
In my experience, you really need magnum primers to consistently set off Blackhorn. Some rifles (CVA Optima comes to mind) require Blackhorn-specific breechplugs. I suspect you encountered a combination of not enough ignition temperature to ignite the powder charge but just enough force from the primer to push a slightly loose projectile down the bore.

I shoot Thors and had that happen once at the range. I also use 209 and Federal shotshell primers. I am 99% sure the cause was preloading too soon after cleaning the entire setup, so just excess moisture. I'm just more careful about running dry patches after wets, or allowing the breech to air dry for a bit after a thorough cleaning and before loading. Since that experience, 0 issues with squibs, misfires or accuracy/efficacy on game with Thors.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back