Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Broadhead Alignment ?

Trigger50

Quick question....Is it better to have your 3 blade broadheads in alignment w your vanes or offset & oppose the vanes ?

Last edited:
I just make sure that my broadheads are aligned in the opposing direction as the nocks and shoot them.

It won't make one iota of difference how your broadhead blades line up with the vanes. Make sure they spin true and shoot them.

Some will argue that if the blades and vanes align that you are reducing the amount of undesturbed air, thus reducing friction and drag. Could also then argue that it is "quieter" and flatter shooting at distance. To get them to align you can screw different heads into different shafts to get the closest match, then shave off the front of the insert( g5 makes a tool that you should be doing this with anyways) until they line up. Personnelly I don't think it's worth the time for most folks except for the potential confidence boost.

I have heard that you should align them also. Just a matter of how fussy you are I guess. I shoot 4 blade Slicktricks and 3 blazer vanes, so then what? I simply number all of my arrows by writing a number on the vane. I put dull broadheads on 4-5 arrows and shoot them all at different spots on my target so I don't wreck an arrow. Then I write down which arrows hit real well and which ones are off a little. I do this for a week before season, after 100+ shots it will be obvious which ones shoot the best, then I know which arrows to put new sharp blades on. Not really aligning or tuning them, but picking out the best "tuned" ones I guess.

I have heard that you should align them also. Just a matter of how fussy you are I guess. I shoot 4 blade Slicktricks and 3 blazer vanes, so then what? I simply number all of my arrows by writing a number on the vane. I put dull broadheads on 4-5 arrows and shoot them all at different spots on my target so I don't wreck an arrow. Then I write down which arrows hit real well and which ones are off a little. I do this for a week before season, after 100+ shots it will be obvious which ones shoot the best, then I know which arrows to put new sharp blades on. Not really aligning or tuning them, but picking out the best "tuned" ones I guess.

This is very good advice. :)

+1 This is EXACTLY what I do. Great advice!

Some will argue that if the blades and vanes align that you are reducing the amount of undesturbed air, thus reducing friction and drag. Could also then argue that it is "quieter" and flatter shooting at distance. To get them to align you can screw different heads into different shafts to get the closest match, then shave off the front of the insert( g5 makes a tool that you should be doing this with anyways) until they line up. Personnelly I don't think it's worth the time for most folks except for the potential confidence boost.

The only way this would stand to reason would be if you were using 3 blade heads with a straight fletch. Otherwise, your arrow is spinning (as well it should be, no one should be shooting BH with straight fletching) and you will have disturbance of some sort.

Also, the question was brought up about 4 blade heads. What about 2 blade heads?

I'm as picky as anyone when I build my arrows. I square both ends, square the inserts, fletch with a high degree of offset, and spin test all of my broadheads. That said, the time spent shaving inserts and aligning heads would be much better spent shooting the BH arrows at the range and working on form, in my humble opinion.

I do not have a preference. In my experience I can have one arrow with a broadhead fly awesome. Then use the same broadhead on another arrow and it sucks. I just make sure my arrows are as square as I can with my A.S.D. It generally helps a bit and keep swapping broadheads to different arrows until I find the combination that flies true.

My cheapie spin tester:

Cut an 18" (or thereabouts) section of 2x4. Nail two framing nails in an "X" pattern near the front of the board and another two nails in an "X" pattern near the back of the board. The exact height where they cross or angle of the nails isn't important.

Slap an arrow across the "V's" made by the tops of the crossed nails and spin your arrow. You can eyeball a head that does not spin true by looking down on it. Use a carpenter's square or something if you want to be more precise.

Emrah

The only way this would stand to reason would be if you were using 3 blade heads with a straight fletch. Otherwise, your arrow is spinning (as well it should be, no one should be shooting BH with straight fletching) and you will have disturbance of some sort.

Also, the question was brought up about 4 blade heads. What about 2 blade heads?

I'm as picky as anyone when I build my arrows. I square both ends, square the inserts, fletch with a high degree of offset, and spin test all of my broadheads. That said, the time spent shaving inserts and aligning heads would be much better spent shooting the BH arrows at the range and working on form, in my humble opinion.

For the most part I agree, which is why I stated its a waste of time except for the confidence boost. As a side note, a 3 vane 120 degree fletch is not the only way to approach fletching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back