Breech Plug Lubrication

freu1chr

I always have a problem with my breech plug getting stuck in the muzzleloader. I usually put some antiSieze on the plug then put it into the muzzleloader what do you guys do to prevent this from happening? Also how do you guys clean your muzzleloaders with hot soapy water or with a cleaning solvent? I have a Thompson center pro hunter. It shoots great i just don’t want to ruin it from lack fo proper cleaning.

I use that TC lube that comes in a giant "chap-stick" applicator. It turns a nasty color after a while, but it seems to work well. Mine is a cva.

I use CVA Anti Seize Stick. It's basically what Dougfirtree described, but made by CVA instead of TC. Each time I clean the gun, I use the breech plug cleaning tool to get the threads really clean. After that, I apply some grease and screw the plug in/out a few times to spread the grease. Seems to work pretty well for me, although it can/will get tighter the more you shoot.

As for cleaning, I use solvents. The two processes I use are as follows:

Between shots while out at the range:
1. remove breech plug
2. dry bore brush
3. dry patch
4. 1 patch of TC Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders.
5. Dry patches

Final Cleaning before putting into safe:
1. dry bore brush
2. dry patch
3. bore brush coated with CVA Barrel Blaster Wonder Gel, and let that sit for about 5 minutes.
4. same bore brush again before dry patches.
5. Once those patches are coming out clean, I run a TC Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders.
6. Dry patches

Breech plug threads in the barrel get cleaned with Barrel Blaster Wonder Gel and a brush. Same Gel gets used on the plug itself.

-Guy

I clean the gun.
I then take an air hose and blow out the barrel and the breech plug threads.
Then I put a copper brush on a cordless drill and clean the breech plug threads.
Then I apply copper anti-seize.

Then I go hunting.

I use CVA Anti Seize Stick. It's basically what Dougfirtree described, but made by CVA instead of TC. Each time I clean the gun, I use the breech plug cleaning tool to get the threads really clean. After that, I apply some grease and screw the plug in/out a few times to spread the grease. Seems to work pretty well for me, although it can/will get tighter the more you shoot.

As for cleaning, I use solvents. The two processes I use are as follows:

Between shots while out at the range:
1. remove breech plug
2. dry bore brush
3. dry patch
4. 1 patch of TC Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders.
5. Dry patches

Final Cleaning before putting into safe:
1. dry bore brush
2. dry patch
3. bore brush coated with CVA Barrel Blaster Wonder Gel, and let that sit for about 5 minutes.
4. same bore brush again before dry patches.
5. Once those patches are coming out clean, I run a TC Cleaning & Seasoning Patches for Muzzleloaders.
6. Dry patches

Breech plug threads in the barrel get cleaned with Barrel Blaster Wonder Gel and a brush. Same Gel gets used on the plug itself.

-Guy
Oops! You're right, the product I use is by CVA, not TC.

I think that the kind of powder you shoot makes a huge impact on how you clean your muzzleloader. I use American pioneer but have shot other kinds. I like AP because it cleans easy. My steps to cleaning are:

1. 5 patches and the breech plug in hot soapy water. I use dawn.
2. Run a wire brush through my barrel once or twice
3. Run wet patches through barrel until they come out clean. It usually takes 3 or 4
4. Run 3 or 4 dry patches through barrel.
5. Run 1 dry patch with a small amount of TC bore butter through barrel
6. Use old toothbrush and a q tip to clean breech plug
7. Thread breech plug with pea size amount of bore butter on the threads into barrel. Wipe off excess around breech plug.
8. Remove breech plug and store on shelf in safe, not in the gun.
9. Wipe down gun with cloth and small amount of remoil.

Copper anti-seize (or whatever metal particulate you want). Basically fill the breech plug threads full, make sure none gets forward of the threads, then wipe off any excess after screwing it in. Yes that's a lot of anti-seize, a tube will still last a long time. I've never had one even begin to stick with blackhorn. Triple 7 leaves a good crude ring ahead of the threads that's pretty unavoidable. If you have to shoot a lot of triple 7 without fully cleaning then break the breech plug open and retighten every couple shots.

Clean blackhorn with whatever solvent you use in your centerfire rifles, the same way. Clean triple 7 with water as if it were solvent on a patch in a centerfire rifle. Hand-turn drill bit your flash hole every cleaning and blow it out with compressed air. Before shooting, swab bore with a clean patch to mop up any excess oil then snap a primer or two before loading your first shot.

I only have experience with blackhorn and triple 7 so I have no opinion on cleaning pyrodex etc.

I use super lube. It covers extreme heat and cold. It is all that I use when I lube limb pockets and axles on compound bows as well. Sometimes I even put it on toast it is so good🤪

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-111655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-111655_Chrome.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 2
Never thought to go with Super Lube.

I have been using a tube of "Gorilla Grease" that I have had for probably 15 years. It is purple and I believe TC was pushing it years ago.

I've used copper anti-sieze and I've used CLP never had my breech plug get stuck or even act like it was getting stuck, my dad has used hoppes oil for years on his. I may have used ballistol as well..

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back