Breaking in a new rifle?

I stopped doing the barrel break in bs. I have rifles that were not broken in that shoot sub moa. If I was to ever take up precision match shooting, which is highly unlikely, I might consider having the barrel's manufacture tell me why its a good idea. But for now, it seems like a waste of ammo.

I would never hunt with a clean barrel though. One thing I can confirm, is a clean barrel has a noticeable POI shift for me, and it takes about 3-5 rounds for the groups to tighten up. YMMV

I stopped doing the barrel break in bs. I have rifles that were not broken in that shoot sub moa. If I was to ever take up precision match shooting, which is highly unlikely, I might consider having the barrel's manufacture tell me why its a good idea. But for now, it seems like a waste of ammo.

I would never hunt with a clean barrel though. One thing I can confirm, is a clean barrel has a noticeable POI shift for me, and it takes about 3-5 rounds for the groups to tighten up. YMMV
Copper equilibrium

I don't have the time or patience to go through all that...

With the new barrels I've had from pacnor, as well as new rifles, I just shoot them responsibly letting the barrel cool between 3-5 shot strings. Usually shoot 20ish rounds the first time then clean the barrel well.

Maybe shoot 20 more, clean really well again...and then only clean if I feel guilty or cant remember the last time they were cleaned. At most maybe once or twice a year.

IMO, people clean rifles wayyyyyyy too much.
Agreed! If I do decide to clean, I have to make an effort to find my cleaning rod as I use it so little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back