MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Breaking in a new rifle?

duckhunt

My first brand new rifle. Remington model 783 in 270. 20200417_161043.jpg

I want to break it in properly. Any advise on how this is done?

I know some real shooters who swear by "no break in necessary" and some who use the "shoot 1 round and clean for 5 cycles and then shoot 5 rounds and clean cycles until you have 25 rounds down the barrel. No reason to believe one over the other - since no break in works for guys who shoot better than me, I save the range time and ammo and skip. I do a quick patch through any new rifle just in case some fillings left over from manufacturer and to remove any grease from shipping. I do tend to clean it a little sooner for the first time (after 10-15 rounds) as compared to my usual 50-75-ish round cleanings. Never had any problems staying under 1 MOA for hunting rifles. YMMV.

I find that it keeps me from overheating the barrel if I clean it every couple of groups - 3 shots, 5 shots or whatever. Keeps the copper fouling down, too.

I clean for the first 3-5 rounds and then start shooting groups and clean after about 30-75 rounds depending on the cartridge.
Also I’ve noticed most barrels tend to smooth out at about 100 rounds and most pick up some velocity then also. Usually need to adjust the load a little sometimes to fine tune things also.

Last edited:
I agree most of it is probably unnecessary. I've become slightly superstitious for some reason so I follow the same routine for every rifle I've had. Clean the barrel from the factory, shoot one round and clean. Do that for 10 rounds. After that, take 2 shots and clean. Like I said, not sure if it does anything. Check what Remington recommends as well.

I just got a new Browning x-bolt and the instructions as well as Browning’s website describe the clean after every shot for 10 rounds, then after every 3, etc breakin process. I don’t see why the manufacturer would call for this if it wasn’t needed. It’s not like they are selling ammo and just wanting you to waste it. Whether it helps or not, I just do it. It also slows you down on those first few shots so you don’t heat up the barrel.

I just got a new Browning x-bolt and the instructions as well as Browning’s website describe the clean after every shot for 10 rounds, then after every 3, etc breakin process. I don’t see why the manufacturer would call for this if it wasn’t needed. It’s not like they are selling ammo and just wanting you to waste it. Whether it helps or not, I just do it. It also slows you down on those first few shots so you don’t heat up the barrel.
Browning does sell ammo ;)

I did a modified break in on my Howa, but I don't notice any real difference in just picking up a new rifle and cleaning it good and taking it to the range. My Howa was the first I broke in, and probably my last.

How’s has the same breakin procedure on their website. Pretty sure they don’t sell ammo ;)

HOWA RIFLE RECOMMENDED BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
Please do not sight-in and or group the rifle during the break-in procedure.

For the first ten shots we recommend using copper jacketed factory ammo. Clean the oil and powder residue out of the barrel before each shot using a commercial bore cleaner with an ammonia content. After firing each cartridge, use a good bore cleaner (one with ammonia) to remove fouling from the barrel using only a soaked patch. We do not recommend anything with an abrasive in it since you are trying to seal the barrel, not keep it agitated.

For the first ten rounds, clean and let the barrel cool between each round fired using a patch and rod only.

Following the initial ten shots, you then may shoot 2 rounds, cleaning between each pair of shots. This is simply insuring that the burnishing process has been completed. In theory, you are closing the pores of the barrel metal that have been opened and exposed due to the manufacturing process.

To keep the temperature cool in the barrel, wait at least 5 minutes between break-in shots. The barrel must remain cool during the break-in procedure. If the barrel is allowed to heat up during the break-in, it will impede the steel’s ability to develop a home registration point, or memory. It will have a tendency to make the barrel “walk” or “climb” when it heats up in the future. If you take a little time in the beginning and do it right, you will be much more pleased with the performance of your barrel in the future.

I don't have the time or patience to go through all that...

With the new barrels I've had from pacnor, as well as new rifles, I just shoot them responsibly letting the barrel cool between 3-5 shot strings. Usually shoot 20ish rounds the first time then clean the barrel well.

Maybe shoot 20 more, clean really well again...and then only clean if I feel guilty or cant remember the last time they were cleaned. At most maybe once or twice a year.

IMO, people clean rifles wayyyyyyy too much.

IMO, people clean rifles wayyyyyyy too much.
Probably true, but man did my dad beat it into our heads that the first thing you do when you get home after shooting is clean your gun. Every time. No excuses. I do that to this day, and have now passed it on to my son. 🤪 The gun may not really need cleaned, but it does teach some discipline.

Probably true, but man did my dad beat it into our heads that the first thing you do when you get home after shooting is clean your gun. Every time. No excuses. I do that to this day, and have now passed it on to my son. 🤪 The gun may not really need cleaned, but it does teach some discipline.

No way would I hunt with a rifle on a clean barrel...ever.

If I have to clean one during hunting season, I wont hunt with it until I head to the range and have at least 5-10 rounds down the barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back