Bought pack goats!

ida homer

I'm probably more fired up about this than I should be :rolleyes:

The reality sets in now that I own 3 of the most annoying farm animals known to man, in-between my thoughts of them packing out my camp and big high country bucks come fall!

Good thing the closest thing to packable stock I have ever trained is a chihuahua and a black lab, so I'm sort of an expert...

I purchased royinidaho's (LRH forum) pack goats this weekend, and am antsy as hell to get them out. Come Friday, I will be packed into a central Idaho mountain goat unit to help a buddy locate some billies. I'm ready to get educated and train them, I mean get trained by them. Pics of the humbling sure to come! :D

Attachments

• Pack Goat 1.jpg
    Pack Goat 1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 3 Goats.jpg
    3 Goats.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 629
I've been wanting to get some pack animals (goats or llamas) (which I highly doubt will happen). I read in the CO big game guide they recommend not using goats due to the risk of transferring disease to the mountain goats. Have you heard anything about that?

I do like your goats though!!

I've been wanting to get some pack animals (goats or llamas) (which I highly doubt will happen). I read in the CO big game guide they recommend not using goats due to the risk of transferring disease to the mountain goats. Have you heard anything about that?

I do like your goats though!!

From the research I have done, the big scare is contact between bighorns and domestic goats. Not mountain goats, but I will quadruple check real quick.

These things hop right into the truck bed, and the property is getting a trim as we speak. All good so far with these lil (GIANT) fellas.

From the research I have done, the big scare is contact between bighorns and domestic goats. Not mountain goats, but I will quadruple check real quick.

These things hop right into the truck bed, and the property is getting a trim as we speak. All good so far with these lil (GIANT) fellas.

That's pretty neat! I'm anxious to see how they work out. I second the question about their pack weight capability.

Can't say I've ever heard of pack goats before. How much weight can the carry?

Everything I've read says 1/4 to 1/3 of their body weight, depending on terrain. These things are beasts compared to regular goats. One is probably 210, the other is 190ish and the white one is 150 but he is only 1.5. When he is full grown hell be 220-240 the guy said.

I'll report back on this question after I get em out a few times! The goal for this year is to not ever have to carry more weight than my rifle. For now, time to get them, and me, in shape...

A friend of mine had six pack goats for quite a few years. They were great for getting your gear into and game out of the backcountry. They would just follow along behind us, and more then once we came across elk and deer as we were heading up to camp. The game would just look at them for a minute or so and then go back to grazing. He would usually pack between 20-30 lbs. on each goat and we were hunting some pretty steep terrain not to far from where you and your buddies shot your bucks last year. Have fun with your new wolf bait, I mean billies.

Not to be a bummer but, their emphasis, not mine, also Dr. Bruce Smith, retired USFWS spoke in Bozeman on Mountain Goats and their decline, in a book he published on them - Life on the Rocks.
Examining the risk of disease transmission between wild Dall's Sheep and Mountain Goats, and introduced domestic sheep, goats and llamas in the Northwest Territories, pg. 13.
Our Risk Assessment indicates that contact between domestic sheep or goats and wild Dall’s sheep or mountain goats would likely result in significant disease in the wild species with substantial negative and long term effects on population dynamics and sustainability. We strongly advise that domestic goats not be used as pack animals, and that domestic sheep and goats not be pastured anywhere in the vicinity of Dall’s sheep or mountain goat ranges within the NWT. This recommendation is consistent with the practical experience and recommendations of bighorn sheep managers and biologists throughout Canada and the United States.

I've done a bunch of internet research on pack goats over the last few years as I would love to get a few myself. Good luck, I am sure they will add to your outdoor experiences.

I've a buddy that uses them.

He shoots one or two of his a year when it misbehaves. He calls it natural selection.

Those of his that survive the first 3 years are excellent pack animals.

The way they follow without a lead is very dog-like.

The way they eat the tent is very goat-like.

They behave well when they have a job to do. When they have down time is when they cause trouble.

One other tip....Get way off the trail, preferably downhill, if there are horsed coming the other way. Horses think goats are the devil.

Were ones with ears an up-charge? Hey, I'm all about saving money on unnecessary extravagant options!

Seriously, Good for you! Let us know how these guys work out - been considering pack goats...

Is there any risk of disease transmission to wild animals from using domestic goats, sheep, llamas, alpaca, etc...as pack animals?

Yes. Proven risk to wild sheep.

Did a quick google search and you are right.

Looks like they even considered banning pack goats on some areas of the Natl Forest.
http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreati...cle_f41909af-8169-5a12-aa5a-baf0d8d6d61b.html
The Shoshone National Forest placed a temporary ban on pack goats in nearly all of the forest in late 2011 to prevent possible spread of disease to bighorn sheep. Forest officials extended the temporary closure until 2015 and are in the process of formalizing the ban.

Did a quick google search and you are right.

Looks like they even considered banning pack goats on some areas of the Natl Forest.[/I]

There was a push up here to ban them in the last few years. I can't recall what happened. The AK Fish and Game recommend that they NOT be used.

IMO the risk isn't worth the reward in sheep/goat country. Novel concept though.

Bummer, guess any goat or sheep I'm ever lucky enough to tag will be coming out on my back.

This might rub some people the wrong way, but I hope they see what I am getting at. As I read more into the transfer of disease from domestic animals to bighorns and mt. goats, it makes me think that if the numbers are such that this is a serious issue, maybe we shouldn't be hunting them in some of these units right now.

Oh well, deer, elk and bears look out!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back