Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bipod or upgrade glass?

williaada

I can either buy the back country tripod for glassing this year or upgrade my glass what you suggest?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
How much is the tripod because I feel like upgrading glass would be a lot more expensive? Tripods do greatly increase the effectiveness of glassing for me.

I do not have a tripod, but have decent vortex glass. This would be my first tripod.

Get a tripod and bino adaptor to put your binos on the tripod. If you are upgrading to the same company binos in the future the adaptor should be the same.

I guess it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. A tripod with binos is handy, but I’d rather have good binos and no tripod than lesser binos on a tripod.

I’ve used my 10x Zeiss for a lot of years without a tripod. I either sit down and brace on my knees or use a trekking pole for a monopod.

I guess it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. A tripod with binos is handy, but I’d rather have good binos and no tripod than lesser binos on a tripod.

I’ve used my 10x Zeiss for a lot of years without a tripod. I either sit down and brace on my knees or use a trekking pole for a monopod.

Good point, we need more info! Depending on the hunt/scenario... and I guess without a spotter in addition to binos the upgraded binos would probably be the better choice. The prices don’t seem to add up though. I feel like upgrading binos run more than a tripod.

To add some more information I am looking at getting either Lecia, Zeiss, or swaro used. I do not have a spotting scope. I used my brothers sporting scope on one trip and I preferred to us my binos due ease of use.

From looking at tripods it appears the outdoorsman tripod is one of the better tripods and when you throw in a head and an adapter. I be close to $700-800 invested in the tripod. Hope this helps with providing insight.

Last edited:
You can get a carbon Sirui T-024SK with a VA-5 Fluid Head combo kit for $300. Or the aluminum one for $190. Both of those would work extremely well and you can save the $4/500 and put that towards new glass.

To add some more information I am looking at getting either Lecia, Zeiss, or swaro used.

From looking at tripods it appears the outdoorsman tripod is one of the better tripods and when you throw in a head and an adapter. I be close to $700-800 invested in the tripod. Hope this helps with providing insight.
You can get a carbon Sirui T-024SK with a VA-5 Fluid Head combo kit for $300. Or the aluminum one for $190. Both of those would work extremely well and you can save the $4/500 and put that towards new glass.
thanks for the info. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for

Thats a tough question to answer depends what you have currently and what you hunt. If you were hunting where i live with 10x30 binos, then i would say no matter how good the tripod your optics is key. I live in nm i carry 12x50 binos, but like most people out west we rely on spotting scopes. When your glassing big country you want both a good set of binos and a spotter. I dont use a dedicated tripod but use my bogpod tripod for everything. I can say this, if your questioning the ability of your optics you probably need something better.

upgrade the binos to used swaro or similar as you mentioned and buy a cheaper tripod as siggested when you can. a cheaper tripod is more forgiving with binos than a heavy spotting scope.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back