Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best breakfast sausage recipe

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Hi country breakfast sausage. I went 20% bacon for the fat. It came out really good. Got 6 people to try and ENJOY bear. It made for a great first impression!

Attachments

• 69DF510D-26F1-41A6-8919-9C703222FF4A.jpeg
    69DF510D-26F1-41A6-8919-9C703222FF4A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
I like the hi mountain hunters blend as well as anything I have tried. Usually add 20-30% pork belly.

Following, I have yet to find "THE" breakfast sausage recipe, hoping someone posts up a winner. I don't use the preblended kits , I mix my own spices instead... Usually a blend of fennel,sage,thyme,brown sugar, and crushed peppers. Regardless of the animal it came from I always cut it with pork belly.

1.5 ounce fresh fennel seed (roasted)
5 pds meat/fat
1.5 ounce salt
7/8 ounce fresh ginger
3/4 ounce fresh sage
1/4 ounce red pepper flake
1/3 ounce brown sugar
1/3 ounce black pepper

I usually skip or cut the ginger down as I’m not a huge fan, and you can dial up or back on the red pepper flake to suit your tastes. I kick it up with some jalapeños thrown in with the grind.

Go through a medium plate twice and keep it good and cold. With bear I mix 4 pds bear with 1 pd pork trimmings to get lots of fat in there.

I've had great luck with this Meateater breakfast sausage recipe but I've only ever used it with deer/antelope.

Thank you.
I've had great luck with this Meateater breakfast sausage recipe but I've only ever used it with deer/antelope.

Yep. That’s the one I sent in a paper copy.
I’d use a little more pork though, as it can be a little dry imo

Hi country breakfast sausage. I went 20% bacon for the fat. It came out really good. Got 6 people to try and ENJOY bear. It made for a great first impression!
This is what I use as well. I used Hi Country for the first time about 10 years ago and haven’t used anything else since to make breakfast sausage. Some of their meat rubs are fantastic also.

We use AC Leggs blend 109 for elk and do 60/40 elk to pork trimmings from the butcher at our grocery store.

I did a side by side comparison with a deer from last year using that Meat Eater recipe and a deer from this year using the Hi-Country blend. Hi-Country tasted considerably better to my humble palette. I’d used the Meat Eater recipe for a few years prior believing I was above using a pre-blend, but them folks over in Lincoln have got their mix down.

Back