bergara b-14 ridge 308 target ammo reccomendations

Flyfish4ever

hey guys,
I developed my elk load for this fall, but i dont want to be wasting $2 everytime i pull the trigger when i am preparing my shooting for my hunt. could y'all give me reccomendations for plinking ammo in the 165 grain range? my plan is to shoot no further than 350 yards, so as long as it groups around 2" at 100 yards, thats fine. i have a target that i will be using that i am going to set up with a "kill zone" to work on shooting at 300 yards with a good heart rate, off a pack, braced on a tree, etc.

my rifle is a 20" barrel and a 1:10 twist

thanks!

What is your elk load? Why not shoot something similar to it? Probably cheaper and better than buying loaded ammo. I usually develop a NAB load for hunting and then a similar/parallel NBT or SGK load for cheaper practice

I’m not sure where you are getting your NABs, but keep an eye out at Shooters Pro Shop and you should be able to pick up blems for about $22/box (or bag) of 50. Shipping is a little expensive (flat $13), but if you buy 2-4 bags at a time then it makes it well worth it. They also usually sell blem NBTs for under $20/50, and they will sell first quality NBTs and NABs as overstock for a little higher when they have them. I have never had any issues with their blems.

With all of that being said, the NBTs should shoot to within 1” of the NABs at 100yd with a similar powder charge (within .5gr) of the NAB load. At $.20-.25/ bullet (average retail at Sportsman’s Warehouse), $.15 for powder, and $.04 for primer, you are looking at less than 50 cents per round this way, and most decent practice ammo that you buy will be close to double that, and likely not as accurate

+1 for the ballistic tips, it’s got the same B.C. as the Accubond on the jacket is thinner and it’s not bonded so it’s more likely to fragment on game

I shoot a LOT in the offseason.
While my hunting loads tend to be with Ballistic Tips, the cost is up there, even for those. I can get Berger VLD-Hunting for the same price per 100.

So, during the offseason i shoot a lot of Hornady SST. Same G1 BC, seating depth, etc as the Ballistic Tip, but about $20+ cheaper per 100.
Same POI, just smaller groups with the Noslers.

Another option may be the Sierra Game Changer bullets.

Just find something cheaper that shoots as well as you'd like. Out to 350yds the flight characteristics difference between 165ish gr bullets won't matter. Use the sort price low to high where you normally find your bullets and use those.

Just find something cheaper that shoots as well as you'd like. Out to 350yds the flight characteristics difference between 165ish gr bullets won't matter. Use the sort price low to high where you normally find your bullets and use those.
I was able to find some match kings in 168gr yesterday so I got them and I’m heading to a shop to get some IMR 4064 today

Back