MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Beautiful Places in the Western US You’ve Hunted

I would say that nowhere I have hunted in the West failed to be beautiful....From my first ever big game animal (WTD) in the Paloose with wolves howling in the evening, to my first elk in the Flat Tops (which is also our yearly camp), to pronghorn and p-dogs in dusty WY, to geese on the flats of NE CO to ducks in the misty sloughs off the North Platte in Nebraska........beauty EVERYWHERE
+1

Any hunter who says they haven't' bagged more sunrises/sunsets than game is a liar. Ditto others here who have said there aren't any ugly places outdoors with a rifle, shotgun, or bow at sunrise.

Given the beauty surrounding us, I've taken to carrying a camera on most of my walks. I walk the hunting dog 3 - 6 miles almost every day. He's not much help when it comes to steadying the camera, that's for sure! :)

But we find things of beauty, every walk. I think it's interesting how much more some of us see than others. Am fortunate to have a wonderful hiking/bicycling trail near home. Just the other day I tried pointing out two mule deer to a couple of guys who were walking. Nope - they couldn't see the deer, maybe 30 or 40 yards away. I'm not the best at observing game, but I see so much more than many folks. My wife is amazingly good at spotting game! She doesn't hunt, but has a real knack for seeing animals. She's often pleased to see what sort of images I captured with the camera - she bought it for me for my retirement gift a few years ago. It's been a long road for me to learn how to use it decently. Still capable of so much more than I fully understand.

So - just thinking while typing here - and grateful that I've been able to see beautiful things almost every day.

All the best.

Guy

Never been on a hunt where I thought, "Dang, this is some ugly country." Perhaps due to being a Flatlander from a Midwest farm the beauty of the West and Southwest are amazing to me.

Muddy Gap, WY, pronghorn hunt

7A59B9A5-26B9-4433-9835-47E818D2E54C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Amarillo, TX, pronghorn hunt
TX Panhandle pronghorn hunt.JPG

Trinchera Peak, CO, bighorn ewe hunt
IMG_4508.JPG

Del Rio, TX, Aoudad hunt on state land
03 16 2013 canyon where ram was 2.JPG

Knik, AK, mountain goat hunt
Knik AK Oct 2009_Fotor.jpg

Back