Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

bear's acomin!

Ike

Pursuit will open on April 9th and I hope to have the Wolf Pack legged up and ready to roll on bear. I'm looking forward to lots of races and fun after spring bear in Utah. Four of us also have a trip to British Columbia scheduled for around May 20th. We plan on loading up ten or twelve dogs and hooking up with an outfitter who claims we'll run down and kill a bear every day. Should be lots of fun. I'm hoping to get lots of video for my next DVD, which I plan to dump on the market before fall. I'm starting to get fired up gang....how bout the rest of you? So lets hear what each of you have planned for spring bear????????

ike
http://www.ingramwildlife.com

I have 2 Oregon tags this year. One in SW Oregon where I live and one up in the NE corner near ID & WA. The season starts this friday so I'm getting pretty pumped up. The snow level dropped down to 2500 ft last night and will snow off and on all weekend, so we should have some good tracking/spotting snow. Cougar is open at the same time, seeing how we spot/stalk and call it should be good hunting.
I really wish we could still chase bears and cats here. There is nothing like letting a pack of amped up hounds go.

Spot and stalk in MT, possibly WY. Season opens Apr 15th, I'll be looking around about a week before that. Some are out, friends caught a bear Saturday while chasing cats.

Hey Ike,

Since your gonna be driving thru Idaho on your way to BC, come a day early and you can run all the bears off our bait sites. By then we should have them fattened up from eating Twinkies and Ding Dongs......

I'm thinking it might be the week Moosie is gone, so he won't even know what happend to the bears on the site....

Ike, If you come through Idaho, and need a Place to sleep. Mi casa es su casa.

Bear starts here April 15th... runs to June 15th ? or something like that. May I'm gunna hit Monataan for 2 days on a spot and Stalk deal.

Good luck in BC.......

For Black bear I'm doing something a bit different, well the area is different. I'm going to hunt on the Alaska mainland (the part that borders Canada) in late-April. It's going to be a very fun trip. Naturally it will be from a boat.

Brown bear as always, is a matter of picking a nice weekend and heading out locally.

spring bear

Thanks for the invite Moosie. And I'll have to get our addy and stop and say hi sometime. However, I'll bet we'll have to blow and go on the trip north don't you? Well, I went and ran the dogs yesterday and am headed out again today...gotta get legged up for bears.

Keep'em treed
the ikester

Ike,
Been hearing of several sightings already this year in the Kamloops area. Never been behind dogs on a bear hunt. Most of the hound guys I know refuse to put out for fear of the bear ripping the dogs a new one. Still think it would be a blast to try it though.
Best of luck on your BC adventure. Looking forward to chasing the ol' bruins myself once shed season starts to wind down. Should be able to find at least a couple big boys this year. Thinking I'll take the first 6+ I see and then hold out for one of them 7+ giants that I know are out there. hump

spring bears

Thanks for the well wishes on our trip to British Columbia BCBOY. I think all four of us are looking forward to the trip. I took all seven of my hounds out saturday and sunday to get some exercise along with my Little Mule. They struck one several lion tracks but didn't get anything going that was very fresh. I did, however, get some trailing video.

We're not going to Canada until May 19th I believe. And I've promised a guy that I'd help run down two bears for his wife and son before I head that way, so the spring should be full of adventure. Later.

the ikester

May 19th is the best time to come. That week is always the best week for some reason. Everything is green, the bears are starting to rut, all is good that week. hump

thanks again

hump And I'm glad to hear you comfirm our hopes the boars would be out looking for sows. Hopefully we'll pick well before releasing the hounds. I'll bet those boars might get kinda mean about rut time huh?

That reminds me of a tree I had a couple years back. I was driving down the road about 30 miles per hour and had a stand up hard rig. I stopped and unsnapped the hounds from the rig platform. They all blew out on a dead run and treed up about two miles down the canyon. When I arrived at the tree I discovered there was a red sow up high in a fur tree and a hugh black boar hanging low in the tree threatening my dogs.....what a hoot! what a video!

Ike

fat bears

JoseCuervo said:
Hey Ike,

Since your gonna be driving thru Idaho on your way to BC, come a day early and you can run all the bears off our bait sites. By then we should have them fattened up from eating Twinkies and Ding Dongs......

I'm thinking it might be the week Moosie is gone, so he won't even know what happend to the bears on the site....

Now that would be kinda mean to run all moosie's bears off his bait while he was gon...lol. It does sound fun though ha!
ike

stop by

Greenhorn said:
Spot and stalk in MT, possibly WY. Season opens Apr 15th, I'll be looking around about a week before that. Some are out, friends caught a bear Saturday while chasing cats.

You can't run bears in Wyoming legally with hounds can you? or have they changed it? Anyway, I better save my hounds for Canada---would hate to get up there and have them so tired they won't leave the truck.
ike

fried owl

Rogue 6 said:
I have 2 Oregon tags this year. One in SW Oregon where I live and one up in the NE corner near ID & WA. The season starts this friday so I'm getting pretty pumped up. The snow level dropped down to 2500 ft last night and will snow off and on all weekend, so we should have some good tracking/spotting snow. Cougar is open at the same time, seeing how we spot/stalk and call it should be good hunting.
I really wish we could still chase bears and cats here. There is nothing like letting a pack of amped up hounds go.

Now that fried owl stuff is funny. Yeah, it's too bad yall got the boot on hounds up there, hope it changes. The only thing more exciting than sending a good rig dog off the box after fresh bear is watching one bite a bear in the butt when he clibs down.
ike

Ike,
I never owned my own hounds but my uncle ran them for years and I helped with a guide for a few years. For fun more than anything else. I love how cocky a dog gets after a bear hits the ground. :cool:
Saturday my 9 year old son and I spotted a monster bruin 20 minutes before dark. It was over 800 meters away and 1500 ft down into a roadless area. We went back Sunday evening but could only see a couple hundered yards because of the snow and fog. I think we'll drop off in there with a packframe and see if we can get lucky.
The Oregon legislature is talking about allowing limited hound hunting for lions, but even if it did go through my nieghbors are too close for me to build a pack. Out here houndsmen run alot of walkers, some plots and a red bone here and again. Hope you have a great time up north. :D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back