Bear Recipes?

Layin_It_Down

Anybody know any good recipes for bear? I'm gonna whip up a batch of chilli this week, but I was wondering if anyone had a magic dish. We ground everything into burger to make it easy. Hey ElkWhisper, wanna come over for burgers on the grill?

Mmmmmm.....

Bear burgers my favorite............................. Long as there is something cold and wet to wash it down with, I'm in!

Elkwhisper

I usually marinate and grill it in thin cut steaks. It's actually pretty good. However, another good use is the cut into small pieces and grill well done, scrape into the dog dish and watch it disappear. It's also been known to go well with barn cats, frozen chunks about the size of a football, no cooking required.

Big Fin, I'll know what happened when I see that little white puppy of yours in an obese state this summer.

why dont ya try mex night.make up some soft tacos with all the fixens.dont forget the guacamole and sour cream mmm yummy.i have also had jimmy dean style sausage and it was realy good.

You guys are nutz

Bear is one of my favorite game meats, (if it hasn't been eating meat). cook the roast suspended to let the fats drip clear and you will be very suprised at how good bear is.

Big Fin, I'll know what happened when I see that little white puppy of yours in an obese state this summer.

Mine is already gone. Funny story.

Lawnboy and I stopped at a C-store on the other side of the pass, and some old boy sees us in our camo. He can hardly walk, but is being hauled along by his wife.

He asks, "Whuch you boys huntin'?"

We tell him we are hunting bears, and he gets a smile like a ripple on a slop pail.

He asks what we do with them when we shoot one. We told him we bone 'em out and freeze them. He tells me that if I ever have too much, he would gladly take some.

I look at him in amazement and tell him, "Mr. Do I have a deal for you. I have just shot big Hank, and as soon as the state gives me the OK on the trichinosis test, I will call you."

He can't believe his good fortune and is immediately giving me his name and phone number. He is hard to understand, but the wife tells me that Ol' Paul is a retired chef who lives in one of those mansions on the hill, and is always looking for some wild game to experiment with. He tells me that bear is his favorite meat and he would take the entire bear, if I was willing to give it to him.

So, Paul has all my meat, other than the backstraps. To keep him happy, I am gonna bring him a couple alfalfa fed whitetails this fall.

Good for You! When I used to hunt duck the wife had no idea how to cook them and I gave them to an old man across the street, you would think I gave him Gold! John

Bear meat...is nasty!!!

I give it away...but Greenhorn has a good idea about using it for dog food! :D

Sounds like a lot of different opinions. I guess I'll have to try it a few different ways before I make the final decision. I'm not even sure the dogs would eat it. Between the dogs and the horses, the whole damn country side wouldn't come see me for a week after we got home. Just finished yesterday scrubbing my truck down to get that smell out.

I'm not as familiar with bear as I'm am with elk, but those two male bears we got must have been pissing all over themselves......cause they flat out were freak nasty smellin'. Especially mine.....

That's what you guys get for shooting those big nasty old boars. Go find a little fat one in the fall sitting in the middle of a berry patch, really good and tender meat.
P.S. seasons closed around here and I passed on the one I shouldn't have. Who wants to share a honey hole that's still open? :cool:

A little fat one in a berry patch sounds nice in the fall, but our family worked cows in the mountains for years for a summer pasture and every fall when we moved cows; my dad would tell stories of coming up on a dead cow with maggets crawling all over it and having a bear crawl out of the stomach. Or we'd see em in the green boxes a lot too. No thanks.....I'll stick to the spring hunts when they're after the spring greens.....lol....

Almost strictly get them made into summer sausage, german and polish dogs and such...mixed with LOTS of pork!!

Big Fin has it figured out best!

We have eaten it every way imaginable, but the cured/prepared sausages and stuff seem to be the safest bet to me...

only had it a handful of times, but liked it marinaded and grilled on an open flame, that way the grease gets out. Other than that, the rest of the time I will take a pass

I really want to shoot a bear but I've tried the bear my cousin shot, didn't like it so I wouldn't eat the sob if I shot one. If I could find someone to take it off my hands, I'd go shoot one. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back