Caribou Gear Tarp

Barrel cleaning and shooting out barrels...thoughts.

Life span depends on cartridge.

A supper fast 22 bore is going to burn a barrel out quick. Sometimes as little as 1000 rounds.

A larger bore modest powder charge cartridge will last a lot longer.

Unless my guns get wet I clean the actions as needed and for the most part just clean the bores once a year.

A 22 rimfire I never clean the bore. Just the action and chamber.

A rougher bore (generally cheaper barrels) May need cleaning more often than a smooth (generally top shelf) barrel.

Thank you all and ImBillT and BcGunworks for the clear answers. I will have to check the throat. To the naked eye with just shining a penlight down the barrel it looks normal to me after cleaning. I will have to look closer now that I know what to look for. Yes, Remington factory barrel. The work was done by a bench rest shooter/machinist who gave me the cleaning regiment. The 3 shot group in the photo is how it has always shot (about .5 MOA) and that is my load data in the other photo. I don’t ever see fliers since I started cleaning around 10 rounds. It was just two range sessions. He worked up my 165gn touching the lands. I backed off the AccuBonds to I think 0.01 and was happy with the grouping so haven’t changed. My patches come out just looking dirty like I see in most of my guns I think. Very faint blue with the Sweets on the first patch that I felt was probably from my bronze brush. None on follow-up patch.

Last edited:
Plenty of solid advice already given. Make sure to use a Nylon brush with sweets or any copper solvent. No false readings then.
10 rounds is nothing and it shouldn’t be that fouled. Your factory barrel may be a bit rough like Bill stated. You could use some JB bore paste on an undersized brush wrapped with a cotton patch and try to smooth it out a bit. Will take 400-600 strokes if not a few hundred more. Change the patch every 200. There is also a product called Dyna bore coat that is a great product for exactly your situation. You could apply it after you clean the barrel with JB paste.

If you think it’s super fouled one method I use in the shop is to plug the muzzle with a rubber plug...you can get little ones on eBay.

Then Fill the bore with kroil. Let it sit overnight. Pull the plug and push one patch through. Then refill the bore with a degreaser like 409. Then patch until dry.

Kroil with time will seep under copper, lead and powder fouling.

Customers over scrubbing a bore has made me a lot of money.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back