Caribou Gear

AR15 Cleaning before Hunt

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,
I am taking my AR15 on a hunt next month and I going to be sighting it in this week. I don't plan on putting a lot of rounds through it before my hunt. But, I was wondering if anyone does a quick clean of their AR15 without taking the whole thing apart? AKA just cleaning the barrel with a cleaning cable and oiling the exterior down. Then after my hunt I can take the whole thing apart and clean and oil it well. Please let me know your thoughts? Thank you!

Cleaning an AR (and any rifle really) is not something to get to wound up about. A good rule of thumb is to clean every 300ish rounds and/or with you notice a difference in accuracy or velocity. Do keep the bolt lubed. In my previous life I worked some VERY accomplished tactical operational shooters and they will NOT clean their "tools" while they still get the accuracy results they expect, regardless of round count. Caveat being if the gun gets outside dirt and grime introduced environmentally.

Cleaning an AR (and any rifle really) is not something to get to wound up about. A good rule of thumb is to clean every 300ish rounds and/or with you notice a difference in accuracy or velocity. Do keep the bolt lubed. In my previous life I worked some VERY accomplished tactical operational shooters and they will NOT clean their "tools" while they still get the accuracy results they expect, regardless of round count. Caveat being if the gun gets outside dirt and grime introduced environmentally.
Understood! Thank you for the info, it is appreciated!

I tend to prefer to clean the gas system more than the barrel. When it was sub zero last year I had some primer non-strikes when pulling the trigger. The rifle was neglected a bit and the floating pin got gummed up in carbon and lube in the cold. My fault for having both a dirty bolt carrier group and having too much lube.

Hit the BCG with a couple of dots of high quality lubricant on the bearing surfaces-- I prefer Slip 2000 EWL--and you should be good to go. ARs are designed to run wet but don't overdo it or you'll be gumming up the works with every bit of sand, grit and dirt your rifle can find.

It makes sense, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Still maintain it, but as long as it's performing correctly and accurately, run it!

I may be on the other end of the spectrum, but I don’t clean my AR barrels unless I fell into water with them or been in a heavy rain. I just keep the BCG lubed and clean every 2-5k rounds.

This has not always been my standard practice but what I have adopted as my SOP over a couple of decades of using these things.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back