Barnes TTSX BT 168gr

Which is what I thought I was saying in writing "start my load workup". The process you mention is what I'd suggest for him as well. That said, for most of my rifles once I get repeatable results of 3 in less than 1.5" @ 100yds I just go hunting.

That's how I read it too I just wanted to make it painfully obvious for him.
My strategy is usually to try to get around or under 1" groups at 100yd. I went and shot half of my ladder last night before conditions forced me to stop. I'm getting in between 1" and 1.50" groups which I find acceptable for a gun that I'm never going to use past 500 yards this is just more of an excuse play and get some Trigger Time

That's how I read it too I just wanted to make it painfully obvious for him.
My strategy is usually to try to get around or under 1" groups at 100yd. I went and shot half of my ladder last night before conditions forced me to stop. I'm getting in between 1" and 1.50" groups which I find acceptable for a gun that I'm never going to use past 500 yards this is just more of an excuse play and get some Trigger Time
Understood.

NHY- You can! Just leave the OCD part of your brain for other things... ;)

One thing I found in my search for the ultimate loads was that often the magazine length rules cartridge length. I have to set my length to the max length that fits the mag, and then adjust powder. We used to always smoke our bullets to seat just off the lands, but sometimes the cartridge length wouldn't allow for good cycling, so for hunting loads I adjust to the mag length now.

One thing I am considering is the weight of the bullet. Given this bullet's construction and weight retention, it seems to me you could lighten up the bullet weight a bit without losing some effectiveness. The performance of JR's 140g bullet on a Shira Moose is impressive. So, if a 150g TTSX provides better accuracy than the 168g TTSX, why not utilize the 150 on Elk sized game.

Nope....based on Pat's test here with Bergers, he did it at .050 changes. You should have plenty of data at .030

338LMtest001JPG.jpg

BTW, if my math is correct, the change in seating is not .050, it's .005. Which seems to me a comfortable adjustment with the loads. Regardless, the change from 2.877" to 2.867" is impressive and what I'm looking for. I am curious, were you testing off a lead-sled or something to stabilize point of aim? If not, that's amazing accuracy and kudos!

I do all my testing from a prone, bipod position. If I use it, I set my chrono out at 10 feet.

I bought a 308 last year and started load development with the 168 gr TTSX. I got good results so I've stuck with it. I have been contemplating trying the 150 gr TTSX and think I will by a box and work up some loads for next year.

The elk I shot last year at 60 yards was a complete pass through. It went through a shoulder blade and both lungs, drt.

The mule deer I shot this year was a severe quartering away shot running away from me 30-40 yards. He didn't even make it 10 yards after being hit.

The elk I shot this year was a little over 100 yards. I was able to recover the bullet just under the skin on the opposite side. It retained 96% of it's weight.

Elk_2016_168gr_TTSX.jpg

30-06
168grn TTSX
54.3 gains of H4350
Pass through, that's the exit hole, made it a couple steps.

I shot my mule deer and antelope both this year with the same load, worked very well.

IMAG0731.jpg

20161110_161632.jpg
I'm getting them to shoot 5 in 1/2" at 100yds + 1 that was my fault.
300 win mag, 168gr ttsx, 76gr h4831sc, wlrm primers, 3.560" C.O.A.L
It has taken 100 rounds to get there but I'm happy with it

I haven't chroonoed it at this coal but I'd bet it will ballpark with the last one at 3145fps I think it should do well

View attachment 64297
I'm getting them to shoot 5 in 1/2" at 100yds + 1 that was my fault.
300 win mag, 168gr ttsx, 76gr h4831sc, wlrm primers, 3.560" C.O.A.L
It has taken 100 rounds to get there but I'm happy with it

That's a great group. If it's printing where you want it for the distance you want it to zero, you should be very happy with the performance. I haven't been able to get my 168g TTSX to print that well. I have had some very good performance with the 150TTSX coming out of my TC Dimension with a 22" barrel and a 1:12 twist. And given the reports on this post, I can see no reason why the 150g TTSX would not be more than adequate for deer and elk.

I use an 85 grain Barnes for deer and elk. I see no reason to be concerned with a 150 grain bullet.

I have been shooting barnes 120gr ttsx for deer with my 7mm08 and 280rem. Load both to 3000fps. 5 seasons, 5deer, none have taken a step after the shot. The best part i have noticed is complete passthrough with minimal bloodshot even when bullet is shattering bone. For elk i stick with 150 or bigger nozler partitions, in my 7mm rem mag. Mainly for downrange velocity with energy at target. Last elk i tagged though, was at 20 yards, never hurts to be prepared..haha!

The bullet on the right is a 180 TTSX from a .300. Can't quite remember but it weighed either 178 or 179 grains when recovered.
402.jpg

The bullet on the right is a 180 TTSX from a .300. Can't quite remember but it weighed either 178 or 179 grains when recovered.
View attachment 64877

What was the animal you recovered it from, and what was the distance? Just curious. Also, is the bullet on the left a Nosler Partition? Kinda looks familiar. Thanks for posting the pic. Textbook mushroom on the TTSX

What was the animal you recovered it from, and what was the distance? Just curious. Also, is the bullet on the left a Nosler Partition? Kinda looks familiar. Thanks for posting the pic. Textbook mushroom on the TTSX

It was actually from a kudu at about 175 yards. And yes, I believe the bullet on the left was a Partition. That bullet was from my father in law and I believe he was shooting a .375. The middle bullet is a Core Lokt from a .300.

Given the TTSX performance I'm seeing on animals and bullets recovered. I'm going to stick with the 130g Barnes TTSX for deer and antelope. Probably move up to 150 for elk.

From the reports on this thread, these bullets do an excellent job.

I used the same bullets in my 30-06 & it is deadly. This past September went on a bear hunt in Maine. The guide I used never saw a bear drop right where is stood, exit hole was more of a tear of almost 3". Very effective on deer as well. Wanna try them on muley and elk next. Good luck with them.

I used the same bullets in my 30-06 & it is deadly. This past September went on a bear hunt in Maine. The guide I used never saw a bear drop right where is stood, exit hole was more of a tear of almost 3". Very effective on deer as well. Wanna try them on muley and elk next. Good luck with them.

Thanks Glock,

I took them out yesterday to the range after swapping barrels on my TC Dimension, from 22-250 to 308 Win. I made the mistake of not bore sighting before firing. The 22-250 is 1/2 MOA and outstanding. However, at 100 yds, I couldn't even get it on paper and for the life of me could not figure out where I was printing, so making the proper adjustments was a shot in the dark. Anyway, before I go out again, I'll bore site it and then fine tune at the range.

I've never had any problems with the Barnes TTSX through my 22" barrel with a 1:12" twist. I'm hoping these bullets can be straightened out as I'm looking forward to using them on hunts.

Back