Barnes TTSX BT 168gr

As noted earlier, Barnes recommends .050" from the lands as a starting point (or their advertised COL for your cartridge). Are you using an OAL gauge?

This is one of 3 bullets I recovered from a Shiras Moose compared to an unfired bullet. The other 2 I recovered look about the same. The bullet is a 145 grain LRX, recovered weight was 141 grains. All 3 were recovered on the far side, just under the hide of the moose. Moose went about 10-15 yards. I've also killed a few elk with this bullet, and had a few pass throughs. Exit wounds have been very similar to cup/core bullets I've used in the past (Accubond and SST mainly).20161106_092936.jpg

Mark, I'm using an RCBS digital ruler. I first insure my brass (Lapua) is the recommended 2.015" length. Then, after seating the bullet, I keep it at the 2.735 OAL.

I gotta tell ya, 145g bullet on a Shira's is not what I would have considered, but that's incredibly impressive. Hence the reason I'm posting here for you more experienced reloaders to give me some insight.

I always use a pencil to push the bullet to the lands and my cleaning rod to take the measurements. However, I haven't had much use for knowing how far off the lands my bullet is. I've had excellent luck in several different rifles by loading it to the listed tested COAL in the Nosler book.

I do the same, load to the COAL in the manual and then tweak it a little bit if I'm not able to get the accuracy I want by adjusting powder charge. I've always had the best luck with the Barnes seated fairly deep.

I understand what cavitation is, however energy transfer does not a kill. A wound channel through vital organs is what kills. IMO, all of the concerns about tissue destruction, etc. are vastly overrated. In fact, that is why I prefer the monolithic bullets. Because I have a lot less bloodshot trimming to do.

I like to start my load workup as close to the lands on possible. If the magazine will allow I'll start by loading them right at the lands. That way if I decide I want to vary the distance to the lands there's only one way to go...

This thread got me motivated to do some work on the case over all length(coal) of my current load like I've wanted to for awhile.
I have a question for everyone and thought the OP might find the answers useful also.
My current 300win mag load is
168gr ttsx over 76gr H4831sc wlrm primer in rem cases. At 3145fps it's not hot.
They have been shooting just over 1" at 100yd with a coal of 3.422". Which is the same depth as my very accurate TSX 168 gr load.
Barnes recommends a min coal of 3.330"
My gun has a particularly long throat jam is 3.657" with the 168ttsx. My mag is altered to accept a coal of 3.565"(my desired limitation)
To say that's a huge jump is an understatement! So I made a ladder.
I decided to go in .030 increments because of the vast distance. I'm hoping to narrow it down then do .005 increments if I hit a sweet spot.
Opinion's? Will I miss the sweet spot with such a large increment

Loaded -
3.422 current load
3.560 magazine max

3.560 is still .092 jump but I'd like to use my mag so I'm hoping to find a sub moa load in that range.

I like to start my load workup as close to the lands on possible. If the magazine will allow I'll start by loading them right at the lands. That way if I decide I want to vary the distance to the lands there's only one way to go...

I'd caution bowhunter60 that taking his current load and jamming a ttsx into the rifling can cause a potential pressure spike. If I used this method I would start low and work up to my current powder charge looking for pressure signs before starting to adjust coal.
This method is very popular and preferred if starting from scratch

Opinion's? Will I miss the sweet spot with such a large increment

Loaded -
3.422 current load
3.560 magazine max

3.560 is still .092 jump but I'd like to use my mag so I'm hoping to find a sub moa load in that range.

Nope....based on Pat's test here with Bergers, he did it at .050 changes. You should have plenty of data at .030

338LMtest001JPG.jpg

I start as long as the gun allows, then work my way back groups of five rounds. I load 5, back the seating die 1/2 turn, measure and write it down. I then work my way through the ranks between the two best loads. i also start shooting with the shortest ones first, if I find the depth I like, I can then seat the rest down to that measurement.

One of these days I will get a chromo and real play with this game!

I start as long as the gun allows, then work my way back groups of five rounds. I load 5, back the seating die 1/2 turn, measure and write it down. I then work my way through the ranks between the two best loads. i also start shooting with the shortest ones first, if I find the depth I like, I can then seat the rest down to that measurement.

One of these days I will get a chromo and real play with this game!

A chrony is a must have. Wouldn't handload without one. mtmuley

I'd caution bowhunter60 that taking his current load and jamming a ttsx into the rifling can cause a potential pressure spike. If I used this method I would start low and work up to my current powder charge looking for pressure signs before starting to adjust coal.

Good information. My plan is to maintain the COAL and adjust powder charges until I get a desirable grouping. At that point, I may consider adjusting the seating depth in very small increments and try and fine tune the load.

Which is what I thought I was saying in writing "start my load workup". The process you mention is what I'd suggest for him as well. That said, for most of my rifles once I get repeatable results of 3 in less than 1.5" @ 100yds I just go hunting.

Which is what I thought I was saying in writing "start my load workup". The process you mention is what I'd suggest for him as well. That said, for most of my rifles once I get repeatable results of 3 in less than 1.5" @ 100yds I just go hunting.

..wish I could do that.:W:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back